Dedicated to Deposits: Deals, Data, and Discussion
Featured Savings Rates
Featured Accounts

Entitlements At Its Best

Thursday, October 10, 2013 - 1:13 PM

An article in the business insider that about sums it up for entitlements. McDonald's Employee and Single Mother Detained for Confronting Company President About Worker Pay - Yahoo Finance

In brief, a 26 year old single mother of two that has been working at McDonald’s for ten years and asks if it is fair that she is only making $8.25 per hour and can’t make ends meet .She would like her pay raised to $15.

Let me see if I have all the facts.

1) She started working there at age 16 and although I can’t be certain but assume this was before her two kids but you never know.

2) Who made the conscious decision to have not one but two kids knowing full well what her pay and prospects were.

3) She does not mention but where is the daddy or daddies and how much support are they offering?

4) She further states she likes what she is doing (which is commendable). After ten years I would like to know what she has done over the years to improve her position.

I may be going out on a limb but have to make an assumption that McDonald’s did not partake in  either of her decisions to make her have two kids. Yet she is blaming McDonalds for her predicament and wants them to compensate her for the mistakes she has made.  For sake of argument let’s say McDonalds agrees and decides to pay all their workers $15 per hour.  Our next burger will cost us $10. Nobody will buy a burger and McDonalds will have to let workers go. She will then be out of a job but hey no problem because then the American people get to pay for her food stamps, unemployment etc…

She asks is it fair to only make $8.25. I would have to ask is it fair for other people to pay for her decisions?

FARFAR106 posts since
Feb 26, 2013
Rep Points: 381
1. Thursday, October 10, 2013 - 3:05 PM
FAR:  On the mark!  I stopped at having two kids because I felt that with the future I wanted, it would be unfair to the kids or myself to have more on the salary DP was making at the time.  Nowadays, it seems too many women want others to pay for their bad choices.  McDonalds is her employer not her babymaker and should not be responsible for how many kids she has.  In this economy, they can probably find a lot of others willing to work for the $8.25 an hour who don't have two kids to support.  They are also not responsible for her deciding to be a single mother or for her choice in mates which is causing her to maybe "have" to be a single mother.   The American taxpayer is going to get ****ed for her bad choices since we'll either pay a chunk more for those crappy burgers or have to support her with food stamps, housing etc. etc.   People need to think about the decisions they make in life and if they are ready to live with those decisions. 

There are some single moms who are doing a fantastic job raising their kids without a father and not being a dole upon society.  They also probably got the education they needed to get a better job than working at McDonalds and getting more pay.   These moms  deserve our praise and are not in the same category as the one in your post.   I don't care how many babies a mom has as long as I don't have to pay her to raise them.
paoli2paoli21,372 posts since
Aug 10, 2011
Rep Points: 6,011
2. Thursday, October 10, 2013 - 4:32 PM
I cannot condone this lifestlye by any means. No education it seems. I also would assume that there was not much teaching at home. But when we had minimum wage it would support a family of three at poverty. Poverty for a family of 3 is $19,530 and if this woman works 40 hours for 52 weeks would make $17,160. Poverty wages does not include a babysitter. It is for a mother, father and one child. Also a whopper would go up 5¢ according to a study I read recently but cannot find right now. But I guess you missed the budget that McDonald's gave to its employees to make their wages last through the month.

McDonald's Sample Budget For Employees Includes A Second Job, Unrealistic Figures | DrJays.com Live | Fashion. Music. Lifestyle 
Ally6770Ally6770912 posts since
Jan 16, 2010
Rep Points: 2,655
3. Thursday, October 10, 2013 - 5:43 PM
I'm not going to judge other people's lives on this blog site.  Any "entitlements" (benefits) were not mentioned in the article. FAR could be just another 'troll'.
ShorebreakShorebreak2,615 posts since
Apr 6, 2010
Rep Points: 14,181
4. Thursday, October 10, 2013 - 7:15 PM
SB:  I beg to differ with you.  The woman in the article seemed to think she was "entitled" to a larger salary per the article which FAR did not write.  Thus could be considered in the class of "entitlements". It is not right to call FAR a troll just because you disagree with his posting of the article.  You disagree with me quite frequently.  Does that automatically make me a "troll"?  I should hope not.  Calling FAR a troll was rude so "you" broke Ken's posting rule.  I think you owe him an apology.  Thank you.
Aug 10, 2011
5. Thursday, October 10, 2013 - 7:22 PM
Re: paoli2 @ 4. Thursday, October 10, 2013 - 7:15 PM

You make me laugh. Apology? NOT.
Apr 6, 2010
6. Thursday, October 10, 2013 - 7:35 PM
According to a D¯emos study, “Retail’s Hidden Potential,” raising wages so that all retail workers earned at least $25,000 a year (about a $12.25 hourly minimum wage) would cost $20.8 billion, or just 1 percent of the $2.17 trillion annual sales of large retailers. According to a University of California study, raising the minimum wage to $9.80 per hour would increase the cost of a hamburger by about 2 percent and would increase the cost of groceries by less than 1 percent.
Ally6770Ally6770912 posts since
Jan 16, 2010
Rep Points: 2,655
7. Thursday, October 10, 2013 - 7:44 PM
Re: Shorebreak #5   "I" made you actually laugh?  Ha!  Now your face will be full of wrinkles and you will end up looking your age!   Thank goodness you are a male.  It doesn't matter if "you" get wrinkles.  What's the big deal about apologizing?  I do it all the time except never to "you".    Be nice!
Aug 10, 2011
8. Friday, October 11, 2013 - 6:52 AM

Shorebreak. I respect your opinion but sorry; I do not consider myself a troll. I do consider myself a concerned citizen that is seeing an America that I grew up in spiraling downward and out of control. Where good work ethics and honest effort to lift one beyond is being replaced by a mentality where they would rather have someone give them a fish to eat every day instead of learning how to fish to feed themselves.  

For this I partly blame the politicians who are using the hard working honest Americans as fishing chum to feed the food frenzy to a portion of society, which only takes away the initiative to succeed.  

An example that I saw, a 62 year old man making $46,000 is entitled to a government credit of $7,836 to buy healthcare. If he makes $46,022 he loses the full credit. He will have more take home pay at $46,000 than if his salary is $54,000 so where is the incentive to move beyond his current $46,000 pay? It would be in his best interest to stay at his current salary instead of moving forward.  
FARFAR106 posts since
Feb 26, 2013
Rep Points: 381
9. Friday, October 11, 2013 - 9:42 AM
Anecdotal evidence.
Apr 6, 2010
10. Friday, October 11, 2013 - 10:13 AM
#9  The poster was trying to make a "point".  Did it go over your head?  Would you like me to explain it to you?   It made great sense to me.
Aug 10, 2011
11. Friday, October 11, 2013 - 12:52 PM
Obviously, FAR is not a troll (and if you didn't notice, they registered back in Feb).  Thank goodness they weren't so offended as to not come back and offer some additonal reasonable information.

Minimum wage per se isn't the problem as much as all of the taxes that are collected from your phone, your gas, your cable, your electricity, etc.  And I'm not even talking about sales tax.  The tax structure was far different in the past.

Minimum wage is not designed to make you comfortable.  And as was already pointed out, who decided to have the two kids? 

I have six kids, but I have never gone to a boss and said you need to give me a raise because I had another kid.  No, I worked my butt off, kept track of everything and when my review came up I had a case for why I deserved a raise.  I also for many years worked two jobs.  So a McDonald's budget that includes a 2nd job isn't necessarily unreasonable.  Although, I didn't read that story.  And by the way, up until two months ago, we didn't even have cable and we still don't have smartphones.  I see people on minimum wage with both.  That, I think, is crazy.

cd :O)
ChrisCDChrisCD70 posts since
Nov 18, 2010
Rep Points: 457
12. Saturday, October 12, 2013 - 1:17 PM
I think the pay is perfectly fair--for the age of 16 to 18, and for the 1st job.  Then you realize you have to support yourself, you do what it takes to improve your prospects, and you get that 2nd job, for more than minimum wage.

Staying in a job that a 16-year-old with no skills could do and complaining that you don't make enough money to raise your family--yes, that's the "entitlement" people.

No, I don't think McDonald's--or any company who has primarily entry-level jobs--should be forced to raise their wages so older adults can use simple jobs as careers.

carlycarly26 posts since
Sep 2, 2011
Rep Points: 88
13. Saturday, October 12, 2013 - 1:54 PM
#12  There was a program on tv recently and it was about how (due to the state of our economy and unemployment) many older folks were taking jobs at the fast food places just to have some income.  It is keeping younger folks from getting what used to be entry level jobs and they end up being unemployed.  It is sad but people do what they have to do to survive when an economy turns upside down as ours is doing.  What is even sadder for the young people is that it was found the older ones were more dependable and worked harder. 
Aug 10, 2011