Dedicated to Deposits: Deals, Data, and Discussion
Featured Savings Rates
Featured Accounts

Fed Research-Unemployment Won't Reach 6.5% Until 2015

Ally6770Ally6770909 posts since
Jan 16, 2010
Rep Points: 2,643
1. Friday, December 6, 2013 - 8:54 AM
I don't see how they can make these predictions since we haven't seen the real repercussions of Obamacare and employers getting rid of excess employees.  I was listening to the news yesterday with more businesses saying they will cut employees back to no more than 50 to keep from paying all the money Obamacare will force them to pay if they have over a certain number.  If the unemployment rate does go down, it will only be temporary and could just be a seasonal thing.  For these reasons, I don't think they will bother to raise savers interest rates until they truly see a more lasting figure.
paoli2paoli21,367 posts since
Aug 10, 2011
Rep Points: 5,993
2. Friday, December 6, 2013 - 10:36 AM
It is the equivilant of part-time workers hours to full time workers. You can have 25 full time and 16 part time workers and still have over 50 equivilant employees. This person saying he is going to cut one employee hasn't a clue on the rules. It was a media event.  Small business will get tax credits and deductions and can carry over costs even if there is no profit. Some employers are actually paying their employees a certain amount for insurance to go on the exchange because they can get better coverage with subsidies and it would be cheaper for all with the subsidies and deductible costs. Some companies are buying insurance through private exchanges where the employees will not qualilfy for any subsidies. Most families have 2 workers and a worker may be covered by their spouses insurance. 10 years ago my bank employer offered spousal coverage for another $2400 a year for a non smoker if that spouse was not offered insurance by their employer. 

Here's a basic example: Say your firm has 25 full-time employees and 50 half-time employees that, combined, equal 25 full-time equivalents. Your firm, in effect, has 50 full-time equivalents and would be subject to the penalty if you don't provide health-care coverage. However, your penalty cost likely would be zero because the $2,000 tally starts at the 31st full-time employee and you only have 25 full-time employees. 
Jan 16, 2010
3. Friday, December 6, 2013 - 11:50 AM
Ally, what is being ignored is the fact that billions of dollars for Obamacare is going to be passed on to the taxpayers by all these subsidies you wrote about for individuals and companies.  He is supposed to be taking this money from Medicare and the Advantage Plans.  It didn't have to be this way if he had taken the time to actually understand the consequences of Obamacare.  For the billions it is costing us, he could have let the uninsued buy into Medicare and let the employees keep the plans they had with forcing them to change them.  This cannot be sugarcoated.  He didn't just find a way to insure the uninsured, he has completely changed our healthcare system in a drastic and unneeded way.  The young people and seniors are going to suffer financially with their healthcare plans if Obama gets away with what he is doing.  All this extra help he is giving out is not "his" money.  He's forcing the rest of us to pay out so his ridiculous Obamacare Plan can pass. 
Aug 10, 2011
4. Friday, December 6, 2013 - 4:19 PM
Re: paoli2 @ 3. Friday, December 6, 2013 - 11:50 AM

"He has to be stopped!" So much drama. What exactly do you propose paoli2?

You can just help elect a Congress and a President next time around that will repeal the Affordable Care Act. The ACA is the law, the SCOTUS has upheld it and you are going to have to live with it. Besides, not everyone shares your view.

http://www.interest.com/savings/advice/obamacare-worth-wait/
ShorebreakShorebreak2,603 posts since
Apr 6, 2010
Rep Points: 14,107
5. Friday, December 6, 2013 - 6:23 PM
You don't care what I believe so why waste bandwidth.
Aug 10, 2011
6. Friday, December 6, 2013 - 6:54 PM
Re: paoli2 @ 5. Friday, December 6, 2013 - 6:23 PM

"I am being a good American!  It's obvious "you" don't share my views so I won't invite you to join the Revolution they are talking about. "

I've heard and read similar boasts throughout history. Here we go again. The self-proclaimed 'patriots' come out of the woodwork every so often. Different names, same result.
ShorebreakShorebreak2,603 posts since
Apr 6, 2010
Rep Points: 14,107
7. Friday, December 6, 2013 - 8:29 PM
Re: 6    Isn't it nice to be able to discuss like adults.
Aug 10, 2011
8. Friday, December 6, 2013 - 8:48 PM
#3 The prez and many others wanted single payer. It was the house that would not even bring it up.  I believe it was your senator who behind quite a few of the fillibusters.  
Jan 16, 2010
9. Friday, December 6, 2013 - 10:07 PM
#8  Of course your prez wants "single payer".   That is what all this is about.  Before he is finished his system will look like single payer since anyone who "had" health insurance will be forced to be on Obamacare and our normal healthcare system will be turned upside down.  No one told us we all had to have duplicate insurances.  He is giving the health insurance companies nightmares.  They have to add all his "must haves" and charge more for the coverage.  Oh goody, I get to have maternity coverage, at MY age!

BTW, "my" senator needs to retire.  I don't always agree with him but on Obama I do.

Whoever is advising Obama sure does not have the best interests of the US in mine or it's citizens and I am sure sorry you and so many others can't see that.  What about all these new immigration lawyers he just hired.  They will cost a fortune and be with us for eternity.  He's spending our tax dollars like "he" won the lottery and most of us won't be around for another 20 years to see if the next Presidents can undo his fiasco.  Ok, it's late and I don't want to have nightmares about Obama tonight.  I have to close it up and think "happy" thoughts so I can sleep tonight.  Have a good evening.
Aug 10, 2011
10. Saturday, December 7, 2013 - 1:14 AM
  Paoli ..Friday, December 6, 2013 - 10:07 PM

"most of us won't be around for another 20 years"   Thank You.
RicochetRicochet132 posts since
Jan 19, 2010
Rep Points: 362