Dedicated to Deposits: Deals, Data, and Discussion
Featured Savings Rates
Featured Accounts

Stop Payments On Lost Checks

Monday, December 23, 2013 - 3:56 PMChase Manhattan Bank - Details
Does anyone know how to cancel a check which never arrived at it's destination other than by a bank stop payment?  My bank, Chase, charges $34.00 for a stop payment and that is more than double the amount of the missing check.  It has been missing for a month and I was wondering if anyone knew of any other way to cancel a missing check other than a bank Stop Payment.    It can only be cashed by the company it is made out to so it's not like a stranger could cash it and it is for less than $15.00.  Any suggestions as to how I can handle it without a stop payment?  Thanks.
paoli2paoli21,368 posts since
Aug 10, 2011
Rep Points: 5,995
1. Monday, December 23, 2013 - 4:55 PM
I would still order a stop payment on the check for piece of mind. Scofflaws have the means to alter the check payee, date and amount very easily with the technology available these days.
ShorebreakShorebreak2,607 posts since
Apr 6, 2010
Rep Points: 14,124
2. Monday, December 23, 2013 - 5:50 PM
Thank you very much for the input and I agree with you.  In fact, I went on Chase's website and pulled up their account info and fees and saw to my surprise that people with Chase Premier Platinum Checking do not have to pay a fee for stop payments.  It was the assistant manager at my local bank who knows me and my accounts very well who told me it would cost me $34.00.  I called the other Chase branch a few blocks away and the lady checked my account and said we are Premier Platinum and she put a Stop Payment on the check for no charge.  So I called the company and told them to disregard the check if it turned up since it has a stop payment on it and I reordered the subscription hubby wanted so much.  I just put it on my credit card this time.  I guess mail can get lost with all the holiday mail going through.  Much appreciation for your suggestion anyway.
paoli2paoli21,368 posts since
Aug 10, 2011
Rep Points: 5,995