Dedicated to Deposits: Deals, Data, and Discussion
Featured Savings Rates
Featured Accounts

It Is Christmas

Wednesday, December 25, 2013 - 7:12 AM
From cnn.com:
http://newday.blogs.cnn.com/2013/12/25/5-things-to-know-for-your-new-day-christmas-day/?hpt=hp_t1

"This Christmas, let’s borrow a page from John Lennon's songbook and save one wish for the world:
A very Merry Xmas
And a happy New Year
Let's hope it's a good one
Without any fear
War is over, if you want it
War is over now"
51hh51hh1,476 posts since
Jan 16, 2010
Rep Points: 6,426
1. Wednesday, December 25, 2013 - 9:56 PM
Play that song every year on Christmas, but my favorite song is "IMAGINE."
Ally6770Ally6770909 posts since
Jan 16, 2010
Rep Points: 2,642
2. Thursday, December 26, 2013 - 3:18 PM
"Imagine" has much of the same type words in it but what turns me off personally the part about "that there is no religion too".  Why is Lennon against religion and why can't he have the same type of world he wants but with religion in it?  Maybe he is equating religion with the ability to have a closeness with God and it has nothing to do with that.  The problems caused by certain religious institutions should not stop people from being able to enjoy their specific religions and still have the peaceful world he wanted so much.
paoli2paoli21,366 posts since
Aug 10, 2011
Rep Points: 5,989
3. Thursday, December 26, 2013 - 4:06 PM
I think he is saying that so many of our wars are religious wars. We all can live by the golden rule and do not have to belong to an organized religion to pray.  It is not necessary to spend millions of dollars for a church when it is used maybe one or two nights a week and on Sunday. Think that money could be spent to help those that have less than us. Just read about Utah that has been furnishing an apartment to many of the homeless. They are chosen by a lottery. Each family has a social worker to work with and to help them get a job etc. They all  have a place to shower, to call home. The children have an address to use at school.  It is working really well, and saving money for Utah while solving the homeless issue. Utah projects that by the end of 2015 there will be no more homeless.  Wyoming is thinking of starting that also. 
Ally6770Ally6770909 posts since
Jan 16, 2010
Rep Points: 2,642
4. Thursday, December 26, 2013 - 5:15 PM
Ally, are you allowed to think like that and still belong to an institutional church?.  I wasn't!  I got basically thrown out for sharing such ideas in my bible study group.  No harm done.  I found DA to practice my beliefs here and still haven't gotten thrown out.  Not that some wouldn't prefer it if I were.  :)
paoli2paoli21,366 posts since
Aug 10, 2011
Rep Points: 5,989