Dedicated to Deposits: Deals, Data, and Discussion
Featured Savings Rates
Featured Accounts
Back to Rate Changes, Deals and Promotions

Discover Bank - Savings - Deposit Slips/Envelopes No Longer Available?

Wednesday, January 8, 2014 - 12:43 PMDiscover Bank - Details
I contacted Discover Bank to get another supply of deposit slips and postage-paid envelopes for my savings account. A Discover Bank customer service rep sent this reply:

"Unfortunately, at this time we are unable to provide deposit slips and envelopes to owners of Online Savings Accounts. I wish to express my sincere apology for any difficulties or inconvenience you may have experienced with not being able to provide deposit slips, and envelopes. Our goal is to provide excellent customer service, and as a valued account holder, you should expect to receive the best service possible at all times. We regret our failure to deliver that service in this situation."

Hmmm. Most of the time, I move money electronically. But occasionally I have a paper check that I want to mail in; I prefer not to deposit via smartphone. Every bank-by-mail bank I've dealt with for decades has offered postage-paid envelopes. Wonder what's up with Discover Bank.
JMJM7 posts since
Oct 17, 2010
Rep Points: 22
1. Wednesday, January 8, 2014 - 7:07 PM
Well, you don't actually need the deposit slip. A simple note will suffice. But yes, the postage paid envelopes are important. 
Even banks that allow you to scan your checks and deposit online generally have an upward limit on the size of deposit for that, and anything more must be mailed in. They have similar limits for the amount you can deposit at an ATM. So, mailing in deposits remains a necessity.
me1004me1004343 posts since
Jan 16, 2010
Rep Points: 2,350
2. Friday, January 10, 2014 - 5:42 PM
Followup: I asked Discover Bank to send me some prepaid envelopes for my Money Market account. A customer-service rep today responded:

"Discover does not provide postage paid deposit envelopes any longer."

Very disappointing.
JMJM7 posts since
Oct 17, 2010
Rep Points: 22