Dedicated to Deposits: Deals, Data, and Discussion
Featured Savings Rates
Featured Accounts

Rise In Longterm CD Rates

Wednesday, February 26, 2014 - 7:56 AM
Hi, I am a business reporter. Over the past few months, several banks have raised rates of long term CDs, especially 5-year CDs. I am keen to speak to a few depositors for your views on the rate changes, will it or has it prompted you to shift your money into long term CDs?
Please reply if I can reach out to you separately over email.
Thanks
ReporterReporter3 posts since
Feb 26, 2014
Rep Points: 3
1. Wednesday, February 26, 2014 - 10:34 AM
Seems to me you can get the answers to your question by taking the time to read certain threads.  The posters are discussing your topic and sharing what they are personally doing with their money.  You can get many pros and cons for long term CDs this way instead of depending on one or two posters who may or may not be willing to discuss this with you.  This is the way a lot of us learn what the others are doing.  Follow the threads.
paoli2paoli21,367 posts since
Aug 10, 2011
Rep Points: 5,994
2. Wednesday, February 26, 2014 - 11:12 AM
Thanks for your reply. I need to speak to specific depositors about whether the rate increases have/will prompt them to invest in longterm CDs so that I could name them in a story.
Feb 26, 2014
3. Wednesday, February 26, 2014 - 11:21 AM
Re: Reporter @ Wednesday, February 26, 2014 - 7:56 AM

"Business reporter" for which publication or media outlet?

It would be nice if you would address your inquiry to the editor of this blog site Mr. Ken Tumin:

Ken Tumin
ken@depositaccounts.com
512-436-3811

Then Ken could determine if this request for opinions of DA members is legitimate. As you must be aware 'phishing' is rampant these days.

Thank you
ShorebreakShorebreak2,607 posts since
Apr 6, 2010
Rep Points: 14,122
4. Monday, March 3, 2014 - 8:30 AM
I'm a Bloomberg News reporter. Thanks for your suggestion, I had reached out to Ken Tumin last week.

I am keen on speaking to depositors about whether the rise in long term CD rates has/will prompt them to invest or if they are not enthused by these rate increases. I may or may not quote depositors in the story but would be grateful to hear from you at sjacob19[at]bloomberg[dot]net.
Thanks.
Feb 26, 2014
5. Monday, March 3, 2014 - 9:09 AM
Reporter:  What rise in interest rates?  Please do share where they are because all the regulars I use have lowered their rates.  We had a discussion about this yesterday on DA since some of our posters have CDs maturing. I'd love to know where the higher rates are.  Thanks!
paoli2paoli21,367 posts since
Aug 10, 2011
Rep Points: 5,994
6. Monday, March 3, 2014 - 12:50 PM
I've talked with the Bloomberg news reporter, and I can confirm her request for opinions from DA readers is legitimate.

News articles that mention DA help this site a lot. So if you would like to help out DA, please email the reporter.
Ken TuminKen Tumin5,469 posts since
Nov 29, 2009
Rep Points: 125,074