Dedicated to Deposits: Deals, Data, and Discussion
Featured Savings Rates
Featured Accounts

95% Of Bank ATMs Face End Of Security Support

Tuesday, March 4, 2014 - 11:36 AM
From CNNMoney
An estimated 95% of American bank ATMs run on Windows XP, and Microsoft is killing off tech support for that operating system on April 8. That means Microsoft will no longer issue security updates to patch holes in Windows XP, leaving those ATMs exposed to new kinds of cyberattacks.
Read more
Ken TuminKen Tumin5,472 posts since
Nov 29, 2009
Rep Points: 125,708
1. Tuesday, March 4, 2014 - 7:12 PM
I have to wonder if this is hyped up way out of proportion. The story doesn't really tell me what I need to know. 

These machines might use Windows XP, but a security risk would require they be interfaced with. If these are not linked to the Internet -- and I don't know whether they are or not, although I don't off the top of my head know why they would be, as that seems in  and of itself to be a bad security practice -- there would be few ways they could be interfaced with. In fact, I would have to think that in that case, they could be interfaced only after a hacker first broke through security of whatever the bank's main OS is, and the ATMs are linked to that network.

If a hacker has already broken into the bank's OS network and so is already in the bank's system, I don't  know that use of Windows XP for the ATMs really matters.
me1004me1004374 posts since
Jan 16, 2010
Rep Points: 2,603