Dedicated to Deposits: Deals, Data, and Discussion
Featured Savings Rates
Featured Accounts

Bank And Money Tips For Foreign Travel

Tuesday, April 8, 2014 - 11:14 AM
From ClarkHoward.com
Planning to travel overseas soon? You've got to do some homework to do if you want to handle your money the Clark Smart way while you're abroad. But don't worry, here's an easy primer to get you started…

Read more
Have you had good experiences with any bank or credit union when you've traveled outside the U.S.?
Ken TuminKen Tumin5,472 posts since
Nov 29, 2009
Rep Points: 125,708
1. Wednesday, April 9, 2014 - 11:14 AM
A word to the wise (which wasn't what I was some years ago in Paris).  Never be in a hurry when using foreign ATM machines especially if you are not used to even using them in the US.  I was in a hurry to get $400.00 extra dollars in francs but accidently hit just one extra zero.  It came out $4,000.00 and I could not stop it!!  I ended up with all these extra francs a day before we were due to return home and I did not want to bring all that foreign money home.  We spent the day running to every exchange we could find to get the best rate and had to do a currancy exchange.  I lost big that day because I got a lot less back in dollars than I thought I would.    But at least I didn't have to return home with a purse full of francs!  I have never used another ATM "any place" even in the US since that day.  I had nightmares of "zeros"  for months after that experience.  A nervous finger and an ATM machine in a foreign country do not make a good mix.
paoli2paoli21,406 posts since
Aug 10, 2011
Rep Points: 6,152