Dedicated to Deposits: Deals, Data, and Discussion
Featured Savings Rates
Featured Accounts

Social Security, Treasury Target Taxpayers For Their Parents’ Decades-Old Debts

Friday, April 11, 2014 - 6:17 AM
Across the nation, hundreds of thousands of taxpayers who are expecting refunds this month are instead getting letters informing them that because of a debt they never knew about — often a debt incurred by their parents — the government has confiscated their check.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/pol...-of-taxp..
ShorebreakShorebreak2,621 posts since
Apr 6, 2010
Rep Points: 14,208
1. Friday, April 11, 2014 - 9:15 AM
  One more reason not to have a large tax refund at the end of the year.  I read another article that the IRS released a report last November that they issued nearly $4 billion in fraudulent tax refunds over the previous year.  And now the IRS is in charge of collecting the penalties from the ACA. This should work out well.  I can see a scenario where they will be taking money due you until you can prove you had health insurance or in this articles case your deceased parents had health insurance.
FARFAR106 posts since
Feb 26, 2013
Rep Points: 381
2. Friday, April 11, 2014 - 10:22 AM
I believe much of this fraudulent tax refund and identification theft problem can be traced to when we began utilizing Social Security numbers as a means of identification for almost everything:

Social Security cards printed from January 1946 until January 1972 expressly stated that people should not use the number and card for identification. Since nearly everyone in the United States now has a SSN, it became convenient to use it anyway and the message was removed. The SSN card is still not suitable for primary identification as it has no photograph, no physical description and no birth date. All it does is confirm that a particular number has been issued to a particular name. Since then, Social Security numbers have become de facto national identification numbers.

Social Security number - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Apr 6, 2010
3. Friday, April 11, 2014 - 3:03 PM
I know of someone that owed for school loans and left the country and married telling her father that they would never find her and she would get her education for free. She and her husband came back after 15 years and her father said it was because she would not have to pay for her school loans. I did think that federal school loans never were free from repayment though. I hope she gets caught. Most people are so honest and it is people like this that make it bad for the  rest of us. Her husband is a scientist and her father owned a large company in town. It is not like they could not afford to pay their debts. He thought it was funny. It is not. It is CRIMINAL. 
Ally6770Ally6770912 posts since
Jan 16, 2010
Rep Points: 2,655
4. Saturday, April 12, 2014 - 9:56 AM
I have to think the "justification" for this is based on that money having been inherited. Still, I would think there should be a time frame for the government to act or lose its chance, just like anyone else who might file a lawsuit faces a statute of limitations. 

Going back decades to something the person from whom you are taking the money knows nothing about and so can do nothing to defend against is just not right. Even the IRS says it goes back no more than 20 years if it finds fraud in tax filings, that that is the maximum you ever need to keep records, so how can they now be taking this money from debts even older than that -- in the example given, from 1977, 37 years ago. And that example was not one of fraud, but one of a mistake by the government overpaying.

I surely hope this is very challengable in court. Even the procedure seems illegal, to just take the money without first making any demand for it and no forewarning. That kind of approach would normally be called theft.
me1004me1004370 posts since
Jan 16, 2010
Rep Points: 2,572
5. Saturday, April 12, 2014 - 10:21 AM
Wake up folks.  You are seeing the actions of the New Obama States of America.  Nothing has to be fair any longer.  Rules we once counted on do not count any longer.  Anyone paying attention to what is going on with the old man and his cattle in Nevada?  That's just going to be a sample of what we are really in for.  Just don't do anything that makes you attract the attention of your government.  Just be a good, obedient "American".  (That's the joke and it's being played against us!)
paoli2paoli21,372 posts since
Aug 10, 2011
Rep Points: 6,011
6. Saturday, April 12, 2014 - 5:57 PM
Actually this bill was passed in the farm bill in 2008. (Before President Obama was elected) People have been paying their relatives bills for a few years now. We are only hearing about it now because someone filed a lawsuit. 
Jan 16, 2010
7. Saturday, April 12, 2014 - 7:53 PM
That's odd that in over six years we would not have heard about this until now.  Maybe they never took action on the 2008 bill until now and that is why we are hearing about it.
Aug 10, 2011
8. Saturday, April 12, 2014 - 8:07 PM
The only thing that has changed is that the 2008 Farm bill changed it to go back 20 years instead of 10 years. 
On an added note Senator Boxer and Senator Mulkulski are trying to stop this. Hope they get signers on the law and it can be passed. 
Jan 16, 2010
9. Sunday, April 13, 2014 - 12:49 AM
#5 Typical Obamascare
RicochetRicochet133 posts since
Jan 19, 2010
Rep Points: 363
10. Sunday, April 13, 2014 - 12:50 AM
#5 Typical Obamascare
RicochetRicochet133 posts since
Jan 19, 2010
Rep Points: 363
11. Sunday, April 13, 2014 - 8:42 AM
#8 and #10:    "Since the drive to collect on very old debts began in 2011,"
Do you not know who our President was in 2011??  Was it not Obama and still is?  That one statement in the article (if you bothered to read the entire article) makes my point. 
Aug 10, 2011
12. Sunday, April 13, 2014 - 9:05 AM
#11 The Social Security department started going back for 20 years in 2011. The law was signed in 2008. Regulations have to be written, it is then open to public comment. That is how a democracy works. When something is passed it does not start immediately. With all your letter writing I would think that you knew this. 
#5 Your comment on the old man not paying grazing fees for years for his cattle using public lland  is something I don't understand. With your way of thinking I would think that people that are hungry would be able to go get a cow to feed themselves because it is on public land. If he feeds his cows on public land for free and does not pay his bill to use the land it seems to me that the people (US taxpayers that own the land) would have the same opportunity and be able  to take a cow to feed themselves because it is on public land. 
Jan 16, 2010
13. Sunday, April 13, 2014 - 9:26 AM
#12  " That is how a democracy works."
Yes, "with all my letter writing" and I am glad you know that I do, I know a lot of info I don't spend time sharing on DA because we are not supposed to be a political group.  You blew your fuse with your above statement in your own response.  THAT is the core of my problem with Obama.  He is mocking all the rules of "how a democracy is SUPPOSED to work" and makes up his own as he feels like it.  If you and yours can't recognize this by now, you need to spend less time on Google and more time paying attention to what is going on in what used to be your country.    I would love to discuss my opinion of what you wrote about the old man and his cows but as I said, this is not supposed to be a political forum.  The OLD GUY made his point and showed Obama Americans will only take so much before fighting back!  This was never about paying his fees, imo.  Bravo to him!
Aug 10, 2011
14. Tuesday, April 15, 2014 - 8:28 AM
See my update post:

Social Security Halts Effort To Collect Old Debts

http://www.depositaccounts.com/fo...-debts.htm
Apr 6, 2010