Dedicated to Deposits: Deals, Data, and Discussion
Featured Savings Rates
Featured Accounts

Citi Master Card Changeover -- More Negative Developments

Wednesday, June 30, 2010 - 6:08 PM
About a month ago, there was a discussion in the forum about City mastercard imposing a change of account upon we holders of its Dividend Platinum Select card. Citi sent out notices that we were automatically being changed to World mastercards. 

The big difference seemed to be that our previous card had offered rebates of 2% on purchases from grocery stores, drug stores, convenience stores, cable and utilites, and 1% on all other purchases, while the new card offered only 1% on all purchses, but up to 5% on a couple of revolving categories like hotels and rental cars (which I will never use) for starters.

One forum poster learned that we could opt out of the change and keep our old card. I called in and confirmed, and they emphatically assured me over and over that I would continue with the previus rebate of 2% on those categories. I still wanted more confirmation, and asked to speak with a supervisor, who also confirmed I would continue with the 2%. I asked them to send that to me in writing, and they said the would within five days.

I then got another notice about the automatic change, and called in again -- and they said that notice must have been in the works before I opted out, to just ignore it. But they again told me I would continue getting the 2% rebate and they again opted me out, and again said they would send a notice confirming my 2% rebate would remain, etc.

Well, I just finally got the notice, nearly a month later. The last line refers to the rebate and says:

"However, you are not able to opt out of the change in reward accumulation."

Huh! Then what the heck is the purpose of opting out at all!!!? I called in again, and basically was told that that's how it is. And it starts tomorrow! That is, I have had only a one-day notice of this change to the terms of my card and have nothing in writing to tell me all the details of what the new terms are (since I was not accepting the change to the new card, I threw that material out!)

In fact, it now seems I have the bad side of the new card but not the couple of other things that are a plus: something about a new over-limit policy, and a new benefit about the card exempting me from cancellation fees that some merchants charge (I think like if you change an airline ticket). I preferred the 2% to those items, but now I'm not getting the 2% OR those items!

As I said previously, Citi has been abysmal in how it has handled this changeover!!! I am VERY unhappy about it all.
me1004me1004370 posts since
Jan 16, 2010
Rep Points: 2,572