Dedicated to Deposits: Deals, Data, and Discussion
Featured Savings Rates
Featured Accounts
Back to General Discussion

Bizarre Grassroots Scheme To Bailout Post Office On The Big Banks' Dime

Thursday, August 12, 2010 - 5:20 AM
It's not really a serious plan, but it is interesting and humorous. Here's an excerpt from the DailyFinance post:
From now on, don't just throw out those credit card offers. Instead, put the paperwork in the "postage will be paid by addressee" envelope (first removing anything with your name on it) and drop it back in the mailbox. You've just transferred the cost of mailing that letter from the not-so-needy Chase/Citi/Bank of America to the oh-so-needy USPS. Who needs Robin Hood when we have postage-paid envelopes?

Ken TuminKen Tumin5,441 posts since
Nov 29, 2009
Rep Points: 123,675
1. Sunday, August 15, 2010 - 8:52 PM
LOL! Brilliant idea.  I think I'll do that with the next application I receive. Maybe I'll shove a little extra paper in the envelope so that it is heavier and the cost to the banks is greater.
zapetazapeta10 posts since
Jul 10, 2010
Rep Points: 21
2. Sunday, August 15, 2010 - 11:12 PM
Great idea with the extra paper. I mailed my first two envelopes back Saturday. I used to stuff metal shavings into a zip lock bag and mail them back in the postage paid envelope to the politcal party that we did not belong to that kept sending me donation envelopes a year after I asked them to take me off the list. I don't get the envelopes anymore.
AllyAlly774 posts since
Jan 16, 2010
Rep Points: 2,257
3. Sunday, August 15, 2010 - 11:15 PM
Great idea with the extra paper. I mailed my first two envelopes back Saturday. I used to stuff metal shavings into a zip lock bag and mail them back in the postage paid envelope to the politcal party that we did not belong to that kept sending me donation envelopes a year after I asked them to take me off the list. I don't get the envelopes anymore.

I'd be careful with the metal shavings.  These days you would probably arrested as a terrorist.
zapetazapeta10 posts since
Jul 10, 2010
Rep Points: 21
4. Friday, August 20, 2010 - 1:39 AM
i myself purposely don't use the postal mail as much as possible hoping that such a dramatic fall in volume will bring about the changes that are needed sooner

while there will be pain in the short term, eventually all the quick fixes and borrowing and 2cent stamp raises won't fix it and they'll have to cut, and your starting to see the sounding of some of those solutions now

my postal solution: go to every-other-day delivery.

you can cut 'last mile' delivery costs in half. one mailman does half the routes on Mon-Wed-Fri, and then he does a different route on Tue-Thur-Sat. high volume businesses still see everyday access, possibly with a fee. post office and drop boxes still funtion daily along with the infrastructure. in fact i would increse the post office hours most places.

mail still comes pretty much on time in this scenario; a bill that would have come on Tues, that now comes a day later on Wed is no big deal - big deal if all that junk mail you throw out comes a day later. it doesn't affect current revenue either
ctgottapeectgottapee3 posts since
Aug 6, 2010
Rep Points: 67