Dedicated to Deposits: Deals, Data, and Discussion
Featured Savings Rates
Featured Accounts

Concerns About Other Writers Contributing To The Site

Monday, October 4, 2010 - 6:35 AM
My technical partner and I have read through the comments from readers who expressed concern about our articles that were written by our other contributors instead of by me. First, we appreciate the honest and constructive feedback. We intend to spend more time to review what is posted to make sure there is no misleading or confusing information.

In this thread, I wanted to inform you why we publish these articles and what we plan to do to ensure the quality of the articles. Also, I wanted to let you know how you can help in this process.

1. The site does receive a fair number of (silent) visitors interested in some of the more basic content, so that's something we need to cover as well. We tend to cover this on the weekend when fewer deals are announced.

2. These articles can be rather time consuming for me to put together and having someone else cover this content frees up more of my time to deal with other items.

3. We looked at a lot of writers before going with Miranda. She does have extensive experience writing for finance sites.

4. We try to make sure everything is accurate but everyone makes mistakes. Please refrain from bashing and instead point out specific points that are inaccurate in as much detail as possible and we'll either correct them immediately or do a follow up post with more detailed information.

5. We'd love for members of the site to contribute occasional posts. One member sent in our first member submitted post last week on buying muni bonds on the secondary market. If any other regular members have some expertise on an area of banking they'd like to share, we're definitely open to the occasional member submitted post. One-time posts would be unpaid, but we could arrange payments for regular posters. We are not interested in guest posts from other sites at this time, just regular members of DepositAccounts.
Ken TuminKen Tumin5,469 posts since
Nov 29, 2009
Rep Points: 125,077
1. Monday, October 4, 2010 - 8:57 AM
Thanks so much, Ken, for your thoughtful response and actions.

I personally have no problems with Miranda's articles.  We are all at somewhere of a learning curve in finance.  I would further suggest that Ken review the articles before publishing (if you have not already done so).

There are articles that are written by financial experts which contain a lot more horrible errors and misleading remarks; so, the common wisdom is: do not believe everything you read, do due diligence to check the accuracy/motive for any articles, and take everything as just input for your final financial decisions.

I doubt that there are many who are critical about Miranda's writings; just one or two, that seem to remain anonymous.  Like Ken said, if you think that you can do a better job, by all means please show us in the open:-)

Congrats to Ken/Partner to manage a great site for friendly and rich finance exchanges!!
51hh51hh1,476 posts since
Jan 16, 2010
Rep Points: 6,426
2. Wednesday, December 29, 2010 - 2:45 PM
I've no problems with other writers contributing to the DepositAccounts.com.  AS I mentioned elsewhere, I simply wish that Personal Finance 101 articles, which are really not blog entries, but rather information about banking fundamentals, to have their own section on your site.

To that end, an advanced search function that would allow one to specify the scope of searches, such as the entire site, the blog section, the forum section, and (I hope) the new Personal Finance 101 section.  Such advanced search functions are common on other Web sites.

Although the line isn't always clear between a blog entry and an article, with a Personal Finance 101 section (and/or perhaps an Articles section) and with pertinent links in blog entries, combined with a more powerful search function, I think DepositAccounts.com can improve even more.

I appreciate all your efforts Ken, and those of your colleagues.  Although I consider FatWallet Finance (FWF) indispensable for discussion of personal finance topics, your site is the best resource for bank deals and information I've seen, and is often used as a springboard for discussions of those deals on FWF.
glxpassglxpass38 posts since
May 2, 2010
Rep Points: 240
3. Saturday, April 23, 2011 - 6:37 PM
"extensive experience writing for finance sites" clearly does not mean "extensive experience writing well", or she wouldn't be writing for a site like this.  I have found Miranda's posts to be superficial if not flat-out wrong in many basic ways.  I have just gotten done marking up her most recent post in red-pencil. 

And as I wrote there, and I'll say again here: I suggest you stick to your core mission of tracking banking, which you do very well.  Don't branch out into financial planning advice, because it only reflects badly on everything else.
melmanmelman10 posts since
Feb 28, 2011
Rep Points: 116
4. Sunday, April 24, 2011 - 6:02 AM
I categorically disagree with the last poster. I am smart enough to read all the stuff on this site, including financial planning advice, and to figure out which I should disregard and which I should pay attention to. In contrast to the previous poster, the more information about any investment that may help us, particularly when bank deposit rates are so low, is helpful. You may have an article about municipal bonds which I may not be interested in, but what's the harm in increasing my knowledge of any aspect of personal finance. Who knows there may come a time when I decide to puchase a municipal bond. If an article is inaccurate, your readers are generally not shy about pointing this out in their comments to these articles. I would advise the previous poster to ignore any article that displeases him/her.
loulou544 posts since
Aug 3, 2010
Rep Points: 3,397
5. Sunday, April 24, 2011 - 11:33 PM
"If an article is inaccurate, your readers are generally not shy about pointing this out in their comments to these articles. I would advise the previous poster to ignore any article that displeases him/her."

Which is it, Lou?  Are we supposed to ignore poorly written guest articles, or are we supposed to write comments explaining why the articles are incorrect?

Please clarify, so that we may all know the "correct" way to participate here.

I hope it is not Ken's goal to post articles of varying levels of quality and correctness, and leave it to his readers to "figure out" what's good and what's not.
Feb 28, 2011
6. Sunday, April 24, 2011 - 11:46 PM
Write the comments, but if it upsets you so much, you may want to ignore the articles causing you the aggravation.
loulou544 posts since
Aug 3, 2010
7. Sunday, April 24, 2011 - 11:48 PM
How about we continue to write up our concerns and let Ken make the call about which articles and authors he wants to support.  It's his reputation that's at stake.
Feb 28, 2011
8. Wednesday, August 31, 2011 - 9:25 PM
Ken, are you noticing the number of feedback posts to Miranda's latest non-informative weekend article?  A few well-written posts both for and against the article.  And an unusually high number of apparent trolls shouting little more than "if you don't like it, don't read it, nyah nyah nyah".

The articles themselves, and the discussion that they draw, all reflect poorly on your site.
Feb 28, 2011
9. Wednesday, August 31, 2011 - 10:02 PM
I do think some "heated" discussions (a record-breaking 53 posts in presponse to the artcile) will do us good occasionally.  I wish that Ken's typical blog articles would receive that many "contributions/responses". 

Melman, you said it well last time already.  It is Ken's call and his website.  Just let it go.  You always have the option of not reading and ignoring certain articles, why make an issue repeatedly?  :-) 
Jan 16, 2010
10. Wednesday, August 31, 2011 - 10:45 PM
51hh, why do you "make an issue" of shouting down anyone who dares to comment about the "Miranda articles"?  It's getting tiresome.  4 of the 53 comments on the blog post are yours. You keep snarking about all the anonymous comments.  Why do you care?  You do realize that "51hh" is just as anonymous as "Anonymous" is, right?

And yes, I posted a comment that appears as "Anonymous".  I didn't realize that I wasn't logged in, and Ken allows anonymous comments.  So what?

Your suggestion (and that of others) that people "not read"  the articles is beyond useless.  Think about it.  How will I know the article was fluffy and pointless, unless I read it first?  After which I'll check, and usually confirm, that it was yet another Miranda-ism.

Please restrict your comments to your opinion of the articles.  Stop criticizing the other commenters.

And believe me, if she ever writes anything useful, I'll be the first to write a compliment.  But I'm not holding my breath.
Feb 28, 2011
11. Wednesday, August 31, 2011 - 11:32 PM
Melman, are you always this cantankerous. If having to read an occasional article you don't like gets you this upset, I would hate to see what you are like when something truly bad happens.
loulou544 posts since
Aug 3, 2010
12. Wednesday, August 31, 2011 - 11:52 PM
Lou, I'm not going to argue with you.  I'll stick to commenting about the articles in question.  Articles which Ken appears to think add value to his site... but I think they do exactly the opposite.
Feb 28, 2011
13. Thursday, September 1, 2011 - 6:16 AM
You are picking fights.  You have stated your case/opinoin so many times already, please let it go, MM.:D  You win in your own ways (but again, it is Ken's site; not yours or mine), peace.

Both Lou and I are looking froward to your more constructive (and less argumentative) contributions in this forum:-)

Jan 16, 2010
14. Thursday, September 1, 2011 - 8:49 AM
More of your lectures.  No, sir.  (Ma'am?)  You don't get to discredit me by accusing me of "picking fights" when all I've done, and all I've requested that you do, is state your opinion about the silly "weekend articles" and cease the pontification.

Although I suspect we are all wasting our time... until such time as Ken or his weekend author have something to say, I highly doubt that they are even reading any of the comments.
Feb 28, 2011