Dedicated to Deposits: Deals, Data, and Discussion
Featured Savings Rates
Featured Accounts

What To Do When An ATM Fails To Dispense Cash

Wednesday, October 20, 2010 - 5:54 AM
What do you do when an ATM has an error and fails to dispense the cash even though it debits your account? This problem is complicated when you're using an ATM that doesn't belong to your bank. That's what happened to FW member DavidScubadiver, and as he posts in the FW thread, at first he didn't receive any help from his bank. The consensus on the thread is that it's the responsibility of your bank to reverse the debit. Your bank should have a form that you can fill out to dispute the wrongful account debit. Customer service reps often don't know all the forms and procedures, so if a CSR isn't helpful, ask to speak with the CSR's supervisor.
Ken TuminKen Tumin5,472 posts since
Nov 29, 2009
Rep Points: 125,708
1. Wednesday, October 20, 2010 - 2:01 PM
Well, you should do better dealing with the ATM owner. They should be able to confirm you did not get the money since the money remaining in the machine should prove it. I think you definitely should dispute it with the ATM owner, although to do so with your bank is a good idea too; for that to be challengeable through your bank, same as a false charge on your credit card statement, would be a good process. 
me1004me1004373 posts since
Jan 16, 2010
Rep Points: 2,600