Dedicated to Deposits: Deals, Data, and Discussion
Featured Savings Rates
Featured Accounts
Back to Comments and Questions

Bofa Won't Release Restricted Accounts

Thursday, November 11, 2010 - 8:52 AM
abandoned accounts that are under my mother's/grandfather's names are under restriction because she was conservator for him. he died 25 years ago, she died 10 years ago. I just learned about these accounts. She was the only child and sole heir, I am the executor for her reopened estate. They still will not release these accounts from restriction. They have stopped returning my calls. I have given them all the certified death certificates, court certified conservatorship document (explicitly stating to release ALL accounts), but they are still refusing to release the accounts, but won't say why. please help!
ellistomellistom2 posts since
Nov 11, 2010
Rep Points: 4
1. Thursday, November 11, 2010 - 11:57 AM
First I would call the toll free number of your state's Attorney General. I believe that after 5-7 years the accounts are to be escheated to the state. Next I would email or call the FDIC. They can help or get you to the agency that will help. I had faxed the FDIC in 2008 from a mega bank (which I worked at) and had an answer within a short time, they also sent a reply to the branch manager, the regional manager and the corporate lawyers.
AllyAlly785 posts since
Jan 16, 2010
Rep Points: 2,281
2. Thursday, November 11, 2010 - 12:06 PM
thanks so much. I tried escalating it internally but was getting the runaround (our manager is in an "all day meeting"). Because the accounts were court restricted, they could not be escheated to the state. I will try the FDIC. Thanks for the advice!  
ellistomellistom2 posts since
Nov 11, 2010
Rep Points: 4
3. Friday, November 19, 2010 - 9:13 PM
If the FDIC doesn't get the problem solved, get a lawyer.
jeremy33jeremy337 posts since
Oct 31, 2010
Rep Points: 25