Dedicated to Deposits: Deals, Data, and Discussion
Featured Savings Rates
Featured Accounts

ING Direct Advertising A New Black Friday Sale

Wednesday, November 17, 2010 - 9:57 AMING DIRECT
I just noticed a link at ING Direct's home page to a new Black Friday promotion page (click on the details link)

It doesn't provide any details. The only thing it says is:
Check back between 12:01 AM ET Friday, November 26th and 11:59 PM ET Sunday, November 28th to take advantage of the biggest savings event of the year.

To see what they have offered for last year's Black Friday, refer to this blog post.

They also had a Fourth of July promotion this year, but that wasn't quite as good as last year's Black Friday.
Ken TuminKen Tumin5,472 posts since
Nov 29, 2009
Rep Points: 125,708
1. Wednesday, November 17, 2010 - 7:10 PM
I received two Black Friday promotions from my ING Direct contact. I'm hoping the ones that come out on Black Friday will be more like what they offered last year. Below are the promotion descriptions that were sent to me:

100% Cash Back Giveaway – Customers who use their Electric Orange debit card on Black Friday between 8:01am ET – 7:59pm ET will have a chance to win 100% cash back. We’ll select one transaction every hour (between 8AM – 8PM EST) and deposit 100% of the transaction amount back into the Customer’s Electric Orange Checking account.  Essentially, your purchase will be on us if you win. All signature and PIN-based transactions are eligible. The maximum giveaway amount customers could win is $5,000.  On Black Friday, follow @ingdirect on Twitter or visit We, the Savers (www.wethesavers.com/BlackFriday) to see who wins each hour. Participants must be 18 years old, no purchase necessary, see official rules. Remember, Electric Orange Checking is an interest bearing account with 35,000 free ATMs, free bill pay, no overdraft fees and no minimum balance required.

25% Off ShareBuilder Real-Time Trade commissions – This holiday season, why buy a toy when you can buy stock in the company that makes the toy? In order to help new and existing customers invest in their future, ShareBuilder is offering 25% off the cost of placing a real-time trade. As always, ShareBuilder has no minimums and offers investors the ability to purchase partial shares. The rebate applies to all real-time trades executed on Friday, November 26th and Monday, November 29th.  The rebate will be credited back to qualifying accounts approximately two to four weeks following the close of the promotion.
Ken TuminKen Tumin5,472 posts since
Nov 29, 2009
Rep Points: 125,708
2. Wednesday, November 17, 2010 - 7:27 PM
Thanks for the information.

But they are all gimmicks to me, that I am firm believer that I (and most of us) will never win anything of significance.
51hh51hh1,476 posts since
Jan 16, 2010
Rep Points: 6,427
3. Monday, November 22, 2010 - 11:30 AM
@51hh  I know the feeling...however: ING had a summer sweepstakes for their Electric Orange Checking (and Mastercard debit) customers. Each accountholder was allowed ten entries. Of course they encourage you to make a purchase for each entry, but out of curiosity, I skeptically followed the easy directions for my entries with "No purchase necessary." Surprisingly, I won $125! It may not be "significant" but I'll take it! Thanks, ING! I won't be shopping on Black Friday, but if you are, and if you're charging it anyway, heck, why not give it a shot? Of course, this assumes that you already have an ING account.

As far as online accounts go, I am quite happy with ING. So if they have a good offer on Black Friday, I'm going for it.
JeanneJeanne7 posts since
Jul 8, 2010
Rep Points: 53
4. Tuesday, November 23, 2010 - 11:31 PM
@51hh  , and if you're charging it anyway, heck, why not give it a shot? Of course, this assumes that you already have an ING account.

I'd rather take the 2% or even 1% cashback than this chance. It's unlikely that the odds are better than 1 in 100 or 1 in 50, plus you get all the other benefits.
zoomerzoomer2 posts since
Oct 10, 2010
Rep Points: 5