Dedicated to Deposits: Deals, Data, and Discussion
Featured Savings Rates
Featured Accounts
Back to General Discussion

Saving Money On Eye Glasses By Buying Online

Tuesday, December 7, 2010 - 9:05 AM
Is it worth it to buy eye glasses online? The savings can be big, but there are concerns about quality and getting a proper fit. The Bargain Babe described her experience with going online. She went with CoastalContacts.com which was offering a promotion. With anti-glare and scratch resistant lens upgrades, her total bill after tax was $28.67. According to her, they "took the guessing game out of buying glasses."
Ken TuminKen Tumin5,442 posts since
Nov 29, 2009
Rep Points: 123,713
1. Tuesday, December 7, 2010 - 4:01 PM
This may work for some people but for those that wear no-line multi-focal lenses it can get difficult. Also if one has a hard time getting proper fitting frames purchasing on-line may not be advised. There is no Costco where I live but we do have a Sam's Club. Their prices are about average for prescription glasses but I like the fact I can get them adjusted or new nose pads put on 7 days a week. Rather than spend a lot of money on designer frames put the money into the lenses. You will be happier and the cheaper frames look O.K. without the stylish name that you paid big bucks for. Funny, I didn't think we would be reading about saving money on glasses at this site.
PurplesagePurplesage26 posts since
Oct 11, 2010
Rep Points: 75
2. Tuesday, December 7, 2010 - 6:48 PM
I would never do that (buying glasses online): eyes are too important to gamble with and skimp on quality of service and/or material. I just got myself badly needed new glasses (progressive lenses, stylish frame in the right color) and had to go back a couple of times to get them adjusted. The entire process of deciding on the lenses and frame was a very pleasant one with direct and knowledgeable feedback I valued. Just today I got a compliment from somebody I've never met before and this happens on a regular basis, so I'm happy with my choice and people seem to feel the same.
darkdreamer4udarkdreamer4u174 posts since
Jun 11, 2010
Rep Points: 630