Dedicated to Deposits: Deals, Data, and Discussion
Featured Savings Rates
Featured Accounts

Remote Deposit Now Available At US Bank For Existing Customers

Tuesday, December 14, 2010 - 9:09 AMUS Bank (OH)
I found this information when I logged into my bank account today:

Make a Deposit Online Deposit paper checks from the convenience of your home!

Congratulations! Making deposits just got easier! With DepositPointTM you can deposit checks from your home or office using U.S. Bank Internet Banking and your scanner. It's the ultimate in deposit convenience, allowing you to access funds faster, save time by reducing trips to the branch and extend your deposit deadline with no contract requirements!

Congratulations!
You have met the eligibility requirements. Enroll now and start depositing checks in to the following eligible accounts:
  • Checking xxxx
  • Checking xxxx
Why don't I see all my accounts?
  Follow these easy steps to start depositing checks today:

• Endorse your check.
  • Select an account.
  • Enter deposit details.
  • Choose your scanner.
  • Scan your check.
  • Select "Submit," and you're done! 
  • DepositPoint™ Banking Highlights 
    • Consumers: Deposit up to $2,500 per day, and up to $5,000 every five business days
    • Small Business: Deposit up to $7,500 per day and up to $15,000 every five business days
    • Only $.50 per check deposited.
    • Funds for checks deposited by 6 p.m. CT are generally available the next business day.
    DepositPoint™ Eligibility

To be eligible for DepositPoint, you must have an eligible U.S. Bank Checking or Savings account for at least 12 months, be an active U.S. Bank Internet Banking user, and had no more than 2 returned deposited items in the past consecutive 90 days.

A few things to note; first, there is a 50 cent charge per remote deposit - this is the only bank I have seen which charges a fee for personal accounts using this. Second, you have to use their scanning software and it does require 32 bit Java version 1.6 and higher - which means that 64 bit Windows machines may not be able to use this feature, and also gives you no option to improve the quality of the image before submission. Third, you are not notified immediately if your deposit is accepted - you may have to wait to find out that the scan quality was not acceptable. They don't give a time frame for acceptance either.

I will give this at least one try to see if it is able to process a check that has given me problems in the past with my other remote deposit account, and will report back on what happened.

Ruth
    RuthRuth4 posts since
    Jun 8, 2010
    Rep Points: 15
    1. Tuesday, December 28, 2010 - 6:44 PM
    As promised, here is my feedback on this new offering.

I deposited my payroll check which has a white border; this particular type of check has caused difficulties when I used Alliant Credit Union's remote deposit feature, and always required some fiddling with the image to get it accepted there. When I went to make this deposit at US Bank, there was an extra step since this was my first time. I was required to install a Java applet which took very little time. The application then searched my system for my scanner, and found it correctly with no issue (I have a Visioneer 9420). It then opened a Java box in that browser window, and I was ready to start.

After scanning the front of the check I saw that it had scanned a larger area than the actual check size - I had placed a sheet of black paper over the check before I scanned it so I could see easily where the actual check margins were located. There is a resize button above the scanned image but they don't make it clear what you need to do; I experimented and found that after clicking the resize button you need to click in a corner and drag a box around the part of the image you want to keep. I also found that when I next scanned the back of the check, it remembered the size I used for the front so that did not need to be resized. I will be interested to see if it still remembers that on my next deposit.

After finalizing the deposit, I immediately got both an acknowledgment of the deposit and acceptance of the images for deposit. Their faq has been updated to say that deposits made before 6 PM Central time should be accepted or declined immediately, and this was the case for me. All deposits made after 6 PM Central will be processed within 24 hours according to the faq.

Overall, an excellent experience. I am impressed with the quality of their programming used in this feature. The 50 cent fee is acceptable to me given the ease of making the deposit, plus not having to burn gas to drive to the bank when the only thing I would need to do there is go to the atm to make this deposit. This is a feature that I will continue to use.

Ruth
    RuthRuth4 posts since
    Jun 8, 2010
    Rep Points: 15
    2. Tuesday, December 28, 2010 - 7:26 PM
    Thanks for the review!
    Ken TuminKen Tumin5,469 posts since
    Nov 29, 2009
    Rep Points: 125,077