Dedicated to Deposits: Deals, Data, and Discussion
Featured Savings Rates
Featured Accounts

Cambridge Savings Bank (SuperSmart Checking, Mass) Rate Dropped From 4% To 3.25%...

Friday, December 31, 2010 - 7:08 AMCambridge Savings Bank - Details
Same limit of $25,000.  Effective 1 January 2011.  Just noticed it this morning, a New Year present:-)

I just opened two accounts with them, thinking that the rate (4% APY) may prolong for a while since it is a relatively larger bank with a $2B asset; I was wrong. 

Can never figure out the bankers: Eased off on RCA requirements recently to attract customers and then reduced the interest rate immediately, what is going on?  Obvious answer: Attract more funding with a lower cost (at the comsumers' expense). 

When they say "SuperSmart", it really means the bankers, not the customers:D
51hh51hh1,476 posts since
Jan 16, 2010
Rep Points: 6,426
1. Saturday, January 1, 2011 - 2:41 AM
Danversbank dropped it's APY from 4% to 3% in October.  In early November, Ken wrote a review entitled "Cambridge Savings Bank Enhances Its High-Yield Reward Checking Account - MA Only".  I'm sure a lot of MA residents like 51hh moved their money into Cambridge for the 4%.  And then on Jan 1, Cambridge drops its APY .75%.

What we'll never know is whether Cambridge would have dropped its rates anyway, or if the increase in clients who found out about the bank's making it easier to qualify for the 4% rate after reading Ken's article allowed them to drop their rate because they had attracted all the new customers they wanted.
dunkerdunker136 posts since
Jun 11, 2010
Rep Points: 409