Dedicated to Deposits: Deals, Data, and Discussion
Featured Savings Rates
Featured Accounts

New Monthly Service Charge For BBVA Compass Build-To-Order Checking Account

Tuesday, January 11, 2011 - 6:02 PMBBVA Compass - Details
I just received a letter from BBVA Compass informing me of the new monthly service fee that will take effect on my Build-to-Order Checking Account effective on the statement cycle that ends on or after February 15, 2011.

It appears this fee applies to not only new customers but all existing customers who have the Build-to-Order checking account. The letter corresponds to what was on the website and what I was told by the CSR.

I described this new fee and ways to have the fee waived in this blog post. I just uploaded the letter in that post.
Ken TuminKen Tumin5,467 posts since
Nov 29, 2009
Rep Points: 124,996
1. Sunday, February 27, 2011 - 2:22 PM
The unusual thing about this conversion is that it also applies to the former Compass accounts that had been started as "totally free for life". This kind of thing doesn't really make one feel secure about contracts with banks if in fact this is legal.
centscents2 posts since
Jan 31, 2011
Rep Points: 23
2. Saturday, April 9, 2011 - 8:05 PM
I got charged as well, and I have the "free for life checking". Their customer service is very poor when it comes to really simple things. I am in the military and live over 600 miles from the nearest BBVA, and they won't allow me to change my address over the phone. They just keep telling me that I'll have to just visit my nearest branch office to get that changed. Sure thing I'll just swing in to the bank in between deployments to get my address changed. They won't budge on this either.
jskinner82jskinner821 posts since
Apr 9, 2011
Rep Points: 6