Dedicated to Deposits: Deals, Data, and Discussion
Featured Savings Rates
Featured Accounts
Back to Comments and Questions

Be Careful When You Request Checks From Your Bank

Thursday, January 13, 2011 - 8:58 AM
If you need checks for your checking account, make sure you know how much your bank will charge. Don't assume that it will be a nominal cost. As described in this Consumerist post, one person learned this the hard way when he requested checks at HSBC. He was shocked to learn that his checks would cost him over $90.
Ken TuminKen Tumin5,441 posts since
Nov 29, 2009
Rep Points: 123,651
1. Thursday, January 13, 2011 - 1:11 PM
Always ask about the cost of anything --- Do not assume.
51hh51hh1,460 posts since
Jan 16, 2010
Rep Points: 6,346
2. Thursday, January 13, 2011 - 9:01 PM
If my account does not come with free checks, I order them thru the ads in the Sunday paper. One usually can get 4 boxes for under $20 including postage and handling. Did this when I was township treasurer also. They also have computer checks and 3 on a page etc. They are always cheaper than when purchased from a bank or credit union unless of course they are free. Have done this for over 30 years.
AllyAlly768 posts since
Jan 16, 2010
Rep Points: 2,230
3. Saturday, January 15, 2011 - 10:23 PM
I forgot where I heard ChexSystems keeps a record of checks ordered?  Does this have any bearing on anything?  I remember some applicants got rejected for some RCAs, because certain banks saw "too many" applications in a short span of time (concluding the account wasn't likely a primary account and wouldn't have the volume of usage they wanted.)  Does anyone know if or how the banks use check-ordering history on ChexSystems for evaluations?
ekatekat74 posts since
Jan 22, 2010
Rep Points: 238
4. Sunday, January 16, 2011 - 12:29 PM
I presently have 16 inquiries that show in my ChexSytem report.

I have a few reward checking accounts. Never have been turned down for any account.

The report also has a place where they keep track of checks that I have ordered. Tells the company I ordered from but not name of the bank or credit union. It does not show all of them just some. The checks that have been ordered with no cost to me thru a bank or a credit union do not show on this report.
AllyAlly768 posts since
Jan 16, 2010
5. Sunday, January 16, 2011 - 7:51 PM
If my account does not come with free checks, I order them thru the ads in the Sunday paper. One usually can get 4 boxes for under $20 including postage and handling. Did this when I was township treasurer also. They also have computer checks and 3 on a page etc. They are always cheaper than when purchased from a bank or credit union unless of course they are free. Have done this for over 30 years.
I also like to have a set of checks handy for each RCA I opened.  it comes in handy when I do rate hopping, offering me another option for fast fund transfers.

But 4 boxes will last anyone a lifetime.  I typically order 60-75 checks from Carousel or other cheapcheck places for about $5.  That is more than sufficient for my usage.   
51hh51hh1,460 posts since
Jan 16, 2010
Rep Points: 6,346
6. Sunday, January 16, 2011 - 9:03 PM
I would like to use only one box of checks but I use one of the reward checking accounts for my main checking account. We only can get dial-up for internet service so on line banking is out of the question. Hardly any of the merchants in our small town accept debit or credit cards.  We have no cable, or no broadband in our area. I use checks for auto, house, and liability insurance, for haircuts, for gifts, for the bakery, for property taxes, and for donations and anything else where  I cannot use a debit or credit card.
AllyAlly768 posts since
Jan 16, 2010