Dedicated to Deposits: Deals, Data, and Discussion
Featured Savings Rates
Featured Accounts

No More Automatic Mailings Of 1040 And Other IRS Tax Forms

Tuesday, February 1, 2011 - 7:52 AM
This is just a reminder that the IRS will no longer be automatically mailing paper tax packages. This IRS page describes how you can get the forms and booklets, and here's an IRS page where you can download the most common tax forms and instructions.
Ken TuminKen Tumin5,469 posts since
Nov 29, 2009
Rep Points: 125,074
1. Tuesday, February 1, 2011 - 10:02 AM
I have been trying to get them to send me a 1040 instruction book and forms for a month now. They have yet to do so. There are none at any postal stations anywhere near me, nor at any libraries.

I think this is a disgrace! 

I don't want to try to deal with instruction books online. Nor use up a ton of my paper and ink in order to print out a bunch of forms so I can give my money to the IRS. 

And I refuse to use those tax applications to do my taxes: I do them better! I have found real errors in those things. I have had deductions that they just fail to provide any way to enter! Someone who didn't already know of those things and the ins and outs of them will not know from using the tax application that they did not get it. Besides, the applications do everything behind the scenes and you can't ever see what it going on -- and I want to know what's what when I'm doing taxes. (I also find it offensive that I should have to pay for something to use in order to give them my money! The IRS should put out out its own application for everyone to use free.)
me1004me1004370 posts since
Jan 16, 2010
Rep Points: 2,571
2. Tuesday, February 1, 2011 - 5:39 PM
Don't blame IRS for not having the instructions printed. Laws were not passed until the end of Dec. I was able to get Publication 17 and yesterday I received the new forms for 8606. You can download the 1040 instructions or if you are like me and like the hard copy try ordering it on line. If it is not available they will send you a post card noting that there is a delay and let you know when you might expect it. In the past in our state the Post Office carried federal forms and the libraries carried state forms.
Ally6770Ally6770911 posts since
Jan 16, 2010
Rep Points: 2,647
3. Wednesday, February 2, 2011 - 12:31 AM
Even though forms are no longer automatically sent, you can still request paper instructions, forms, and publications be mailed to you either by phone at 1.800.TAX.FORM or online at http://www.irs.gov/formspubs/page/0,,id=10768,00.html

ravrav36 posts since
Apr 21, 2010
Rep Points: 147
4. Tuesday, February 26, 2013 - 1:36 PM
If the IRS wants us to do our taxes and give them money, THEN THEY ARE LEGALLY OBLIGATED TO SEND US THE FORMS.  WE SHOULD NOT BE FORCED TO GO ON LINE (WHAT IF YOU DON'T HAVE THAT OPTION) ...AND SINCE THEY ARE NOW ALMOST TWO MONTHS LATE IN SUPPLYING HARD COPIES.....THEN WE SHOULD NOT BE BOUND TO FILE TAXES BY APRIL 15TH....WHAT A RACKET THEY HAVE GOING HERE.
JAKASSJAKASS1 posts since
Feb 26, 2013
Rep Points: 13