Dedicated to Deposits: Deals, Data, and Discussion
Featured Savings Rates
Featured Accounts
Back to Financial News

Email Breach Affects Affects Chase, Citi, Capital One & US Bank

Monday, April 4, 2011 - 8:32 AM
I've already received an email from Chase about this. Here's an excerpt from the email:
Chase is letting our customers know that we have been informed by Epsilon, a vendor we use to send e-mails, that an unauthorized person outside Epsilon accessed files that included e-mail addresses of some Chase customers. We have a team at Epsilon investigating and we are confident that the information that was retrieved included some Chase customer e-mail addresses, but did not include any customer account or financial information. Based on everything we know, your accounts and confidential information remain secure.

According to this TechCrunch post, other banks affected include Citi, Capital One and US Bank.
Ken TuminKen Tumin5,442 posts since
Nov 29, 2009
Rep Points: 123,743
1. Monday, April 4, 2011 - 8:46 AM
I received the same email from Chase, as well as Barclay's and Kroger (grocery store with customer tracking/"loyalty" card). My inbox was filling up with identical emails.
AtlantaWolfAtlantaWolf38 posts since
Jan 16, 2010
Rep Points: 170
2. Monday, April 4, 2011 - 9:42 AM
For those of us that are now getting a billion spam E-mails due to this, is there any harm in clicking on the "unsubscribe" at the bottom of the E-mails or will that make it worse?
edlisaledlisal13 posts since
Sep 8, 2010
Rep Points: 37
3. Monday, April 4, 2011 - 9:50 AM
Are you actually already seeing an increase in spam?  So far my inbox looks normal. 

So far US Bank is the only one who has bother to inform me of the breach.  Haven't heard anything from chase, capital one  or citi.

On the bright side all my cc go to a spicific email adress just have to dump it and create a new one.
dcurreydcurrey15 posts since
Feb 28, 2011
Rep Points: 84
4. Monday, April 4, 2011 - 10:04 AM
I have seen a DEFINITE increase in spam.  I've only been informed by US Bank, but I also have accounts with Citi and Chase that have been identified so far.  My E-mail address cannot be dumped (without major pain - I've had it for 20 years), so I try to unsubscribe to E-mail lists if I can.  Sometimes however, clicking on Unsubscribe to a random junk mail will actually inform them that they have a real-live E-mail address and increase spam, so I try to be careful about that too.
edlisaledlisal13 posts since
Sep 8, 2010
Rep Points: 37
5. Monday, April 4, 2011 - 5:35 PM
You can add Target credit card to the list. (Target National Bank) Just got an email from them about the hack.
dcurreydcurrey15 posts since
Feb 28, 2011
Rep Points: 84
6. Monday, April 4, 2011 - 7:04 PM
I got the email from Abebooks yesterday, and from Chase this morning. Capital One's email, however, made no mention of the breach; instead, it was an apology for duplicate emails sent late last week?!
WilWil242 posts since
Feb 26, 2010
Rep Points: 1,281