Dedicated to Deposits: Deals, Data, and Discussion
Featured Savings Rates
Featured Accounts

Bank Of America ATM Check Deposit Incident

Tuesday, April 12, 2011 - 3:53 PMBank of America - Details
Do you deposit checks at ATMs? Even with the new fancy ATMs, the deposit process doesn't always work as advertised. This Consumerist post shows an example of what can go wrong at a Bank of America ATM.
Ken TuminKen Tumin5,469 posts since
Nov 29, 2009
Rep Points: 125,074
1. Wednesday, April 13, 2011 - 8:33 AM
1. I doubt that it is unique only with BofA ATMs. 

2. Weekend is the worst time to deal with financial problems like this; try to do transactions during weekdays.

3. Unless the ATM is totally malfunctional (which will usually stop working completely), there may be something wrong with the check itself (e.g., crooked, damaged, etc.).  It is difficult to determine the cause for such an incident.  Does this imply not to deposit checks via BofA ATMs?  I do not think so. 

4. For all situations, there are the rainy-day scenarios (i.e., worst-case).  It could happen to anybody.  When it happens, just exercise patience and prudence to deal with it. 
51hh51hh1,476 posts since
Jan 16, 2010
Rep Points: 6,426
2. Wednesday, April 13, 2011 - 9:33 AM
I had the same problem last year at a BofA ATM. I put in a check, the screen said "Please wait..." and nothing happened. After 10 minutes, I pulled out cell phone while standing there, called BofA, got transferred to ATM support, gave them the street address, and they confirmed the ATM was offline. She gave me a reference number, cancelled my debit card, ordered a new debit card to be mailed to me, and gave me provisional credit on the $17 check I was trying to deposit. She did everything I expected them to do in a situation like that.

I work in the IT business so computer failures are a way of life.

I've had tellers and bankers make mistakes far more than than problems with the technology side (ATM/online banking/billpay). At least when you call for support, you can both blame "the computer" and peacefully resolve the issue.
AtlantaWolfAtlantaWolf40 posts since
Jan 16, 2010
Rep Points: 187