Dedicated to Deposits: Deals, Data, and Discussion
Featured Savings Rates
Featured Accounts
Back to General Discussion

At Invitation Of White House, Wall Street Execs To School US Reps On Importance Of Debt Ceiling

Sunday, April 17, 2011 - 8:02 PM
http://www.hsdent.com/blog/At_Invitation_of_White_House_Wall_Street_Execs_to_School_US_Reps_on_Importance_of_Debt_Ceiling

I wish this were a joke of some sort, but it’s not. The Financial Times reports this morning (4/14) that the White House has asked several banking executives to please explain the importance of increasing the debt ceiling to congressional Republicans. The lead voice for the educational sessions is the Secretary of the Treasury, Tim Geitner.   The bankers asked to help the Republicans understand such a complex issue include Pandit of Citigroup, Moynihan of Bank of America, and Dimon of JPM, and some insurance execs.

I guess this makes sense. If I wanted to know about how handling explosives incorrectly would potentially lead to my early demise, I guess I’d ask someone who had experience in blowing stuff up. So if you want to talk to a group of people who have done their best to bring the financial world to its knees by focusing on their own self-serving interests at the expense of, well , everything else, I can’t imagine a better group than the aforementioned bankers.

Or maybe we could do the opposite. Maybe we could tell this group to go home and start packing their overnight bags, because we’ll soon be indicting them for fraud and theft of the nation, then we can go about the business of explaining to all of the incumbent Reps, Senators, and White House staff that no, we really don’t have to increase the debt limit.

MikeMike327 posts since
Feb 22, 2010
Rep Points: 875
1. Monday, April 18, 2011 - 7:15 AM
What do you expect when you have the Board of Directors of Goldman Sachs running this country?
ShorebreakShorebreak2,371 posts since
Apr 6, 2010
Rep Points: 12,629
2. Monday, April 18, 2011 - 9:09 AM
Evidently this isn't the first year this has been written about.

HsDent ClientMay 1, 2009 ... At Invitation of White House, Wall Street Execs to School US Reps on ... HS Dent Blog Archive. 628 articles were published in 39 categories. ...
www.hsdent.com/blog/2009/05/01/the-etf-bubble/ - Cached
[H3]HsDent Client Aug 14, 2009 ... At Invitation of White House, Wall Street Execs to School US Reps ..... HS Dent Blog Archive. 628 articles were published in 39 categories. ...
www.hsdent.com/blog/Taxes_and_the_Top_1 [/H3] [H3]There are more posts on this also. [/H3]
AllyAlly778 posts since
Jan 16, 2010
Rep Points: 2,266
3. Monday, April 18, 2011 - 12:39 PM
Mike, it's called chutzpah
loulou521 posts since
Aug 3, 2010
Rep Points: 3,239
4. Monday, April 18, 2011 - 2:43 PM
:-) yes, I believe u r right Lou. Now, if they could apply some of that to the part of their brains that could learn to stop spending and pay down debt, many of us would be glad to see that chutzpah.
MikeMike327 posts since
Feb 22, 2010
Rep Points: 875