Dedicated to Deposits: Deals, Data, and Discussion
Featured Savings Rates
Featured Accounts

Debt Crisis And The Source Of The No-Compromise Position Of Not Raising Taxes

Sunday, July 17, 2011 - 11:03 AM
I was watching the Chris Matthews Show this morning, and they showed an excerpt of the 1992 Saturday Night Live mock presidential debate with Dana Carvey as Bush. It provides a humorous insight into the source of this no-compromise mentality about not raising taxes.

I can't find a video, but I did find the transcripts. Dana Carvey did a great impression of both Bush and Perot.

Jane Pauley: Honestly now, don't you feel some kind of tax hike will be needed to reduce the deficit?

George Bush: Jane, the answer is no! I will never raise taxes again! Never, ever, ever, ever.. never, ever again! And I mean never, ever, ever, ever, never ever..!!

Jane Pauley: Thank you, Mr. Presi..

George Bush: Never, ever, ever!

Jane Pauley: Mr. President, please..

George Bush: Ever, ever again!

Ken TuminKen Tumin5,469 posts since
Nov 29, 2009
Rep Points: 125,077
1. Sunday, July 17, 2011 - 12:10 PM
I don't think the tax issue is as clear cut as liberal vs conservative. Aside from the anti tax folks, most people realize any entity, including govt, needs some money to operate. However, people want THEIR hard earned money used frugaly and wisely. Any liberal who loves contributing his tax money, hated seeing it misspent in military mismanagement. Likewise, any conservative who loves contributing his tax money, hated seeing it misspent in welfare mismanagement. Most taxpayers feel like they pay enough taxes... but they are thrown away carelessly by the rich political class. TEA is Taxed Enough Already... not anti tax. The uproar is about mismanagement of taxes paid... not anti tax. The uproar is over the credit worthiness of the US and the legitimacy of the dollar, or any fiat currency. The uproar is over the games played in politics and govt, at the expense of the people and the rights of the people.
MikeMike327 posts since
Feb 22, 2010
Rep Points: 876
2. Sunday, July 17, 2011 - 2:43 PM
I agree, Mike.
loulou544 posts since
Aug 3, 2010
Rep Points: 3,397
3. Sunday, July 17, 2011 - 6:32 PM
I'm hardly a "sign-the-pledge" Grover Nordquist fan, a raging tea-partier, or the like, but when I read about some of the nonsense we're funding through federal and other governmental sources (I'd say tax dollars, but in the case of the Feds it's, what, 40% borrowing from others), I really, truly get upset. As I live in California, in a district whose Congressional representative is not terribly interested in what fiscal conservatives care about, I feel a tad powerless. Even politicians who "pledge" not to cave to special-interests wind up doing so. Think of Jerry Brown and the recent "no lay-off" sweetheart deal with the teachers' union. All considered, I can understand (if not fully agree with) the "starve-the-beast" sentiment.

They will only stop the nonsense when they run out of money, borrowed or otherwise. To politicians, it seems spending other peoples' money (including the Chinese) is an addiction.

End of rant.

Bozo
BozoBozo137 posts since
Feb 14, 2011
Rep Points: 937
4. Sunday, July 17, 2011 - 6:54 PM
Thanks Lou.  I agree with Bozo, too.  End the rant, if and when they stop spending frivilously.  Otherwise, rant on brother.
MikeMike327 posts since
Feb 22, 2010
Rep Points: 876