Dedicated to Deposits: Deals, Data, and Discussion
Featured Savings Rates
Featured Accounts
Back to General Questions/Other

ING Direct Rewrites The Book On Check Security

Friday, August 12, 2011 - 8:29 AMING DIRECT - Details
From American Banker
For the first time in its 11-year history, ING Direct is sending customers checkbooks. But the checks are useless until they pass a gauntlet of security measures the online bank designed.

ING Direct's patent-pending process requires customers to first go online to activate each checkbook, much like they would activate credit cards by phone before their first use. Customers cannot order checks with custom images (no pictures of family members or Snoopy), because the design of each check is also part of ING Direct's security.

The checks are available only to holders of the Electric Orange account, which ING Direct introduced in late 2006. The product was conceived as a "checkless checking" account; the bank hoped customers could make all payments online.

[Read more...]
WhataBummerWhataBummer413 posts since
Oct 15, 2010
Rep Points: 1,702
1. Friday, August 12, 2011 - 10:45 AM
Thanks for posting this. I just noticed that paper checks are finally available at ING Direct.

ING Direct info on paper checks

I first reported on the new paper checks in this July 25th blog post. A reader commented in this post that the checks became available on August 4th.

On July 25th I was told by an ING Direct rep that the paper checks were going to be released on July 27th, but that was delayed.

Ken TuminKen Tumin5,442 posts since
Nov 29, 2009
Rep Points: 123,754