Dedicated to Deposits: Deals, Data, and Discussion
Featured Savings Rates
Featured Accounts

Why The Powerball Jackpot Is Part Of My Investment Strategy

Monday, February 13, 2012 - 11:09 AM
This CBS Money Watch article title might sound strange, but its author, Allan Roth, offers some sound advice in this amusing article. Some excerpts:
The perfect portfolio would be about 99.999 percent boring and 0.001 percent lottery tickets.  I'm not there, but I'm close.

My investment strategy is roughly 99 percent boring and 1 percent exciting.  The big, boring part comprises low cost diversified index funds and the highest-paying CDs with easy early withdrawal penalties.  Though boring, this strategy has earned me an estimated 7 percent annually over the past 10 years that many call the "lost decade."

Ken TuminKen Tumin5,468 posts since
Nov 29, 2009
Rep Points: 125,029
1. Monday, February 20, 2012 - 11:22 PM
With all due respect, I think you're missing another portion of the well-rounded portfolio. I'm talking Publisher's Clearing House.

I am currently waiting for my $1,000,000 prize check to arrive. I haven't been notified, as such, but I was assured in the official literature that accompanied my entry form that I was on the list of people eligible to win, and that someone with my initials was sure to win.

I've just quit my job and bought many new and expensive things in preparation for the soon-to-arrive check.

I don't know why more people don't avail themselves to this free money. I'll let you folks know how my life of luxury turns out. Try not to be jealous of me.

; )
MolotovMolotov9 posts since
Feb 15, 2012
Rep Points: 73