Dedicated to Deposits: Deals, Data, and Discussion
Featured Savings Rates
Featured Accounts

Petition For Fair Interest Rates On Our Savings

Sunday, April 1, 2012 - 3:45 PM
http://signon.org/sign/the-feds-zero-percent

Please, please click the link above and add your name.

Time is running out!  

Signatures are needed to move our Petition for Fair Interest Rates on Our Savings along to MoveOn.org where it can receive more exposure and a much better opportunity of being delivered to President Obama.

Then, please forward this post to everyone you know, and ask them to click the link at the top of this post, add their names to the petition and forward this post as well. 

All of us deserve fair interest rates on our savings.  Time is running out and we're almost there!

Let's Get It Done Together!
EmptyPocketsEmptyPockets3 posts since
Apr 1, 2012
Rep Points: 26
1. Tuesday, April 3, 2012 - 7:21 PM
Ben Bernanke has admitted that his monetary policy failed.  Bernanke's appointment as Chairman of the Federal Reserve System ends January 31,  2014.

It is President Obama who is up for re-election in November 2012 and needs to act now.  The timing couldn't be better.  During the GOP debates, every Republican candidate said they would fire Bernanke.

The time is now for our voices to be heard in Washington, D.C. and across the country.  Signers from all over the United States have told their stories of how the Fed's toxic zero percent interest on their savings has ruined their lives.

What we our looking for is a fair return on our hard-earned savings.  The Bernanke "Zero Percent Rate Policy" has cost untold Americans 75% loss in the earnings from their retirement savings [AARP Magazine/February/March 2012 Bi-Monthly/Carla Fried/"The War On Savers"].  

This loss does not even include the loss from our lifetime savings that we had had to take out just to get by.

http://signon.org/sign/the-feds-zero-percent 

Please click on the link above and add your name!

After you add your name, you may feel better that your voice has been heard.

I will deliver the "Petition For Fair Interest Rates On Our Savings" to Washington, D.C. out of my own Empty Pockets as I am a saver who is fed up with the banks and credit unions holding my savings hostage for their own use.

Thank You.

Apr 1, 2012
2. Tuesday, April 3, 2012 - 9:35 PM
Empty Pockets:  If you take the Petition to Washington yourself what part does MoveOn.org have in this campaign? Will they help you get media publicity for this to show the nation how upset savers are with this problem?  Just wondering what your intentions are with this campaign.  I am sure thousands of savers would love to sign your Petition if they had a way of knowing it existed.  I had hoped this was where MoveOn.org was going to come in.
ApacheApache43 posts since
Dec 5, 2011
Rep Points: 565
3. Tuesday, April 3, 2012 - 11:08 PM
Apache: MoveOn.org has and is sending the Petition via email using their "help" mail list to get more signatures.

SignOn.org (division of MoveOn) has been very helpful in fixing computer snafus and assigning a team support contact to me for telephone consultation.

Today, I received their planning tools for delivery well in advance, which does include organizing a News Conference.

I told SignOn.Org that I need alot more signatures before delivering the petition to President Obama in Washington, D.C.  I am considering delivering the petition to the FOMC (Federal Open Market Committee) as well, since they meet regularly and decide monetary policy, ultimately whether/not the zero percent savings rate changes.

I have been on the CD rollercoaster since mid-2004.  My income so to speak is derived from interest rates, which are paying next to nothing.  This is the one issue that has had me on fire since fall 2008.  My intentions coudln't be more serious.

With that said, how many signatures do you think we need for the President, possibly the FOMC, and the media to take the "War on Savers" seriously?

Apache, would you like to work with me on getting this Petition to Washington, D.C.?

Sincerely,

Empty Pockets

Apr 1, 2012
4. Wednesday, April 4, 2012 - 9:38 AM
Empty Pockets:

Thanks so much for the additional info.  I have spent my life being a political activist but now that I am in my senior years, I have to do most of it at my computer.  As you may have noticed, those of us who promoted your Petition had to take a lot of flak from others in our group who are against it because they think it is useless.  When it comes to politics "nothing" is useless if you do it with dedication and get the "right" backers and find a way to get it on the media.  If MoveOn can help you get your Petition exposed on the AARP site, you may find the big numbers of people who have our same need and looking for a Petition to sign.  People just have to feel it has a chance.

I am so happy to read that you seem to have most of your ducks in a row.  I don't get involved in any way in any campaign I don't believe in and I believe this is a very important campaign.  Like yourself, I depend on interest rates to survive so your campaign being successful is very important to me.  The reason I wanted to make sure you had MoveOn involved is because they may have access to helping you get the number of signers you need.  This morning we did not get to 200 yet.  That is mainly because people don't know where the Petition is.  MoveOn could advise you best as to how many signatures would make a dent in Washington but it usually should be in the thousands, imo, especially if you want to get media coverage on it. 

As for working with you in getting this Petition to Washington, I do not know exactly what you would need.  I cannot travel due to medical problems so any thing I may do must be from my apartment.  I also must be honest with you and let you know I cannot help financially with this campaign and will not get involved in anything I am not completely aware of what is going on.  Ken has been very kind and cooperative in allowing us to put your Petition on our forum but we have a lot of members who are against it because of fears of giving their email addresses out. For this reason, I don't feel it is wise for me to try to promote it any further on Deposits Online forums to avoid negative publicity on it.   You should have my email address so please contact me by email if you want to discuss this any further with me.  Best of luck to ALL of us with your Savers Campaign and thank you!
Dec 5, 2011
5. Wednesday, April 4, 2012 - 3:28 PM
Empty Pockets:  I just sent you a PM Message concerning AARP.  Please check it out.  Thanks!
Dec 5, 2011