Dedicated to Deposits: Deals, Data, and Discussion
Featured Savings Rates
Featured Accounts

Problems When Depositing A Tax Refund Check At A Chase ATM

Friday, April 6, 2012 - 6:07 AMChase Manhattan Bank - Details
This Consumerist article has an interesting report on a problem a guy had when he tried to deposit his tax refund check into a Chase ATM. The check was made out to him and his wife. They had separate Chase checking accounts, and he tried to deposit the check into his checking account using Chase's ATM deposit feature. At first it appeared to work. Then 5 days after the deposit, he sees the deposit was reversed.
Ken TuminKen Tumin5,471 posts since
Nov 29, 2009
Rep Points: 125,634
1. Friday, April 6, 2012 - 8:07 AM
It was indeed Tom's fault entirely.  A check issued to them "jointly" (i.e., Tom and wife) should definitely be deposited into their "joint" account (i.e., under Tom and wife).  There is no ambiguities IMHO.
51hh51hh1,476 posts since
Jan 16, 2010
Rep Points: 6,427
2. Friday, April 6, 2012 - 2:58 PM
This is why I have never used an ATM.  Even tho all our checks usually have both names on them they don't put "OR" on the checks so if the bank doesn't know it comes from an "OR" account, it can make both sign.  My bank has never asked for both signatures because they know I would never have "and" on any account.  However, a brainless piece of metal working as an ATM can't decipher this so it could bounce the check any way it wants.

I was told recently that no one puts "or" or "and" on joint checks any more because the bank always make accounts "or" even if we don't request it.  The problem could have easily been resolved if you had been able to wait to use a human teller, imo.  Machines can never replace humans even if they do work cheaper!
ApacheApache43 posts since
Dec 5, 2011
Rep Points: 565
3. Sunday, April 8, 2012 - 9:46 PM
You can never deposit a check into a single owner account when 2 names are on a check. Also if only one person was present you cannot cash a check made out to 2 people.
Ally6770Ally6770937 posts since
Jan 16, 2010
Rep Points: 2,727