Dedicated to Deposits: Deals, Data, and Discussion
Featured Savings Rates
Featured Accounts

It's Hard To Give Telemarketers The Slip

Tuesday, April 10, 2012 - 1:08 PM
From the Los Angeles Times
One AT&T customer finds changing his phone number to try to stop telemarketing calls instead raises alerts at a marketing firm that he's a prime target for pitches.

Read more
Ken TuminKen Tumin5,473 posts since
Nov 29, 2009
Rep Points: 125,800
1. Tuesday, April 10, 2012 - 2:16 PM
As the article points out, "we don't sell your name and number" is often just a question of semantics. 

In the article, AT&T appears to have clean hands and distances itself from the problem by throwing its business partner, the directory-assistance company, under the bus.  Verizon doesn't come off much better either.  One would suppose that it has enough leverage with its business partners to insist that the information be protected and used appropriately as promised.

Whoever is at fault, it is the consumer whose wishes are not respected and who loses his privacy.  My simple solution (which may not work for everyone) is to simply not answer calls to my landline or cell from unfamiliar numbers.  
pearlbrownpearlbrown1,491 posts since
Nov 2, 2010
Rep Points: 6,490
2. Tuesday, April 10, 2012 - 7:13 PM
I love 'caller ID'.
ShorebreakShorebreak2,700 posts since
Apr 6, 2010
Rep Points: 14,636
3. Tuesday, April 10, 2012 - 9:19 PM
How about an idea:

When you get a new phone number, list it under a fake name and tell anyone that calls that that person no longer is at that phone number.  Or if pushed, say "Mr. Smith does not exist...he is a fake or died x years ago".  Saves money from the phone company asking for an unlisted number fee.  How about a name: 'DN Call".  Stand for Do Not Call.  So you know when they ask for DN Call they got the number from either the phone book or directory assistance.  I would limit the listing to be excluded from the criss-cross directory (reverse listing from address to phone number).

OC Steve
ocsteveocsteve14 posts since
Jan 17, 2010
Rep Points: 59