Dedicated to Deposits: Deals, Data, and Discussion
Featured Savings Rates
Featured Accounts

10 Things The IRS Won't Tell You

Tuesday, April 17, 2012 - 6:33 AM
This Smart Money article provides some useful and interesting things about taxes and the IRS. Number 9 on the list is worrisome since our tax returns have so much sensitive information: "We may be a government agency, but that doesn't mean your data's safe."
Ken TuminKen Tumin5,467 posts since
Nov 29, 2009
Rep Points: 124,996
1. Tuesday, April 17, 2012 - 9:11 AM
The IRS is also not always correct in their calculations.  Some years back I got a notice from them that "I" made an error on my 1040 and they recalculated it and it would give me a bit higher refund.  I knew my calculations were correct from doing my taxes all these years but spoke to a tax accountant to get his opinion.  He said "I" was correct and I needed to convince the IRS of their error because if not, if another agent found it later on, they could hound me to get the money returned.  It took determination on my part to get them to recheck the forms and admit their error but they eventually sent me a letter stating "my" calculations were correct and the form would be processed as I had sent it in.

The moral of this post is that, imo, no one should just take the IRS's word on their taxes unless they double check  or speak to a tax accountant.  The IRS can make an error and still come back at us later to collect.  We make errors and we can face audits or penalities.  It's not a 2 way street with the IRS.
ApacheApache43 posts since
Dec 5, 2011
Rep Points: 565