Dedicated to Deposits: Deals, Data, and Discussion
Featured Savings Rates
Featured Accounts

Pasadena Service FCU - RCA Drop From 3% To 1.5%

Saturday, April 28, 2012 - 10:35 PMPasadena Service Credit Union - Details
Without warning or notice, it appears the High Yield Checking (rca) rate was cut in half.  Rate page says effective 4/18/12 and doesn't indicate any other changes, such as to cap (25k) or requirements (12 debits, e-statements, 1 ach).  Their statements are monthly calendar, which softens/disguises the drop. Most customers won't realize it until after they see their 4/30 statement (or especially the 5/31) IF they're looking.

Thanks K-BDG - your site verified it, and the discussions of experiences told here have prompted me to randomly verify rates more often, since there have been so many shockaroos. Didn't catch this one sooner, but at least gained a few days, since I otherwise wouldn't have known til the interest posted or statement came out.  I really have appreciated the institutions that notify their customers.
ekatekat75 posts since
Jan 22, 2010
Rep Points: 246
1. Saturday, May 5, 2012 - 3:05 PM
"Effective date" of the rate drop to 1.5% was 4/18/12, but it appears they honored the previous 3% rate through the entire statement period, which closed 4/30/12.  The main branch in Pasadena usually tries well to give good customer service - priding themselves being more one-on-one as a local in-person community-oriented cu.  So it's really appreciated they didn't just drop the rate mid-month, which seems like them.

However, the lack of notice doesn't reflect them well (what a jolt to unaware customers come May's statement). Maybe they've been telling customers as they see them. In general, they're not usually efficient with written notices and correspondence. They know customers they see in-person by name, so they prefer dealing live (first in-person, second by phone, but hardly in writing.)  Disappointed for not being notified and especially dropping the rate by half(!), but trying to give them some benefit, since there have been other things to like about them. Maybe they'll still notify this month. But had I found out seeing the May statement...

ekatekat75 posts since
Jan 22, 2010
Rep Points: 246