Dedicated to Deposits: Deals, Data, and Discussion
Featured Savings Rates
Featured Accounts

Using Old Bills Can Get You Arrested

Tuesday, May 1, 2012 - 4:42 PM
If you have any old bills that you plan to use, it would be wise to deposit the bills at your bank or exchange them for newer bills. This Consumerist article reported on two cases in which people have been arrested using old bills at stores. The stores think they're counterfeit and contact the police.

Case #1 reported by the Shelbyville Times-Gazette in Tennessee:
What officers thought was a counterfeit $50 bill turned out to be an old, legitimate bill, but the truth wasn't discovered until a man was mistakenly charged and jailed Friday.

Case #2 reported by My Fox Atlanta:
Charges have been dismissed against a 13-year-old student accused of passing counterfeit cash at her DeKalb County middle school.

Ken TuminKen Tumin5,469 posts since
Nov 29, 2009
Rep Points: 125,077
1. Tuesday, May 1, 2012 - 8:45 PM
What's to stop them with the current bills? This might just be a test utilizing the old bills, which are still valid.
ShorebreakShorebreak2,613 posts since
Apr 6, 2010
Rep Points: 14,167
2. Wednesday, May 2, 2012 - 9:12 AM
This is ridiculous!  Most of the old bills I get are from my local bank!  Some are torn and so faded, I have had to ask them to exchange them.  They don't seem to know what the big deal is with me wanting newer bills.  Someone needs to let them know about what is going on with this problem.  However, I have never had a store or bank refuse to take any of the old bills I give them, thank goodness.
paoli2paoli21,372 posts since
Aug 10, 2011
Rep Points: 6,010
3. Wednesday, May 2, 2012 - 9:35 AM
Local yokels should stick to their own matters and stop playing police officer. I thought counterefeit currency was supposed to be only a federal matter, not one for state charges. Sure, local police might make an arrest, but the guy should be turned over to the feds. I'm sure the feds would have known right off that the bills were real.

And this just goes to show, a LOT better training is needed about those markers determining whether a bill is counterfeit. People using them should already know that they don't work on older bills. Gee, police better know that before they make any arrests! For police to be arresting people because the police haven't a clue what they are doing is not acceptable. And mind you, depending on the sate, that could be a permanent arrest record with no way for the wrongly arrested person to have it eliminated.

They have changed the bills so many times that those marker things only catch the new designs, not the older ones. Hey, they have changed the design of bills so much that at this point I often get a bill and think it is from a Monopoly game, not real money. They have to stop so often changing the designs. Changing it so often that no one even knows what a real bill looks like only helps counterfeiters.
me1004me1004370 posts since
Jan 16, 2010
Rep Points: 2,572