Dedicated to Deposits: Deals, Data, and Discussion
Featured Savings Rates
Featured Accounts

Ally Bank's Commercial With Guy Who Loses Out At The Grocery Checkout Line

Saturday, May 12, 2012 - 10:33 AMAlly Bank - Details
Have you seen this latest Ally commercial? It shows the reaction of a man at a grocery checkout line who loses out on a $50,000 check after he lets another guy go ahead of him in line. As that guy gets ready to pay, balloons fall, music plays and the store manager presents the guy with a $50,000 check for being the one millionth customer.

As the guy who lost out stares in quiet disbelief, the commercial says "people don't like missing out on money that should have been theirs. That's why at Ally we have the Raise Your Rate 2-year CD. You can get a one-time rate increase if our 2-year rate goes up."

It's probably the best of Ally's recent commercials. Ally commercials received a lot fame when they had the kids in the commercials who were treated poorly by a banker-like man.

Although it's entertaining, it makes me wonder why Ally doesn't promote its small early withdrawal penalty if they are really concerned that "people don't like missing out on money that should have been theirs". They never had a commercial that said if rates go up, just close your CD with a small penalty and reinvest into a higher paying CD.

Of course for us customers we would prefer Ally spend that money on higher deposit rates instead of marketing. It's interesting that Ally is still putting so much effort into growth when their deposits have gone up by so much. According to an April 30th press release "total retail deposits grew to $29.3 billion, up 25 percent from the first quarter of 2011."
Ken TuminKen Tumin5,469 posts since
Nov 29, 2009
Rep Points: 125,077
1. Monday, August 6, 2012 - 7:57 PM
The fellow who is so nice, and let the guy in back of him go first--I see his expression in my mind every so often.  Great ad.

mrmy
mrmymrmy1 posts since
Aug 6, 2012
Rep Points: 3
2. Wednesday, July 17, 2013 - 6:51 PM
does anyone know the name ot the actor who plays the guy who missed out on the $50,000 he looks amazing like my heart doctor and the expressions are exact
krenkren1 posts since
Jul 17, 2013
Rep Points: 10
3. Wednesday, July 17, 2013 - 7:08 PM
Ken:   "They never had a commercial that said if rates go up, just close your CD with a small penalty and reinvest into a higher paying CD."

I don't think Ally or any bank actually wants to encourage depositors to use their small penalty and reinvest into a higher paying CD.  I think it is just a come on to get more deposits.  I don't think we will see them actually do a commercial on that.

I did see that ad about the guy who missed out on the $50,000 and it upsets me cause it seems like something that would happen to me.  Now I want them to add a part showing the other guy sharing the money with him.  That would be the right thing to do and make me much happier. :)
paoli2paoli21,372 posts since
Aug 10, 2011
Rep Points: 6,011