Dedicated to Deposits: Deals, Data, and Discussion
Featured Savings Rates
Featured Accounts
Back to General Discussion

Where People Hide Their Cash

Friday, May 18, 2012 - 5:47 AM
Do you hide cash in your house? According to this Squared Away blog post, 27% of Americans hide cash in their freezers. Some of the places used include in socks, under the mattress and in the cookie jar.

I wonder how accurate a survey like this is. If someone called me (and could know my address) and asked where I hide my cash, I would be very suspicious.
Ken TuminKen Tumin5,442 posts since
Nov 29, 2009
Rep Points: 123,699
1. Friday, May 18, 2012 - 8:13 AM
Put a few bucks in the obvious places where some perp would look. They will think they struck gold and flee before someone shows up. That way your big stash of cash, hidden in the not so obvious places, won't be bothered.
ShorebreakShorebreak2,371 posts since
Apr 6, 2010
Rep Points: 12,629
2. Friday, May 18, 2012 - 8:37 AM
I have to laugh at all these recent posts of "where do you stash your cash?"  No wonder the poor seem happier than the rich people.  They don't have to worry about this.  If you are really concerned why don't you do what I wanted to do years ago (when we still had a home).  Put up a sign on your front door to burgulars which says "We're poor.  If you really want the cash, go next door.  That's where all the money is."  No!  I didn't actually put it up.  My DP said if our house ever caught on fire, the neighbor night not call the fire dept.  
paoli2paoli21,142 posts since
Aug 10, 2011
Rep Points: 5,091