Dedicated to Deposits: Deals, Data, and Discussion
Featured Savings Rates
Featured Accounts
Back to Comments and Questions

Would You Trust A Greek Bank With Your Savings?

Saturday, May 19, 2012 - 7:40 AM
In the tumultuous days after the May 6 election that left Greece unable to form a government, Greeks withdrew nearly a billion dollars from bank accounts, leading to speculation that a bank run may ensue. Still, many continue to trust the system with their life savings.

http://www.globalpost.com/dispatc...your-savins
ShorebreakShorebreak2,371 posts since
Apr 6, 2010
Rep Points: 12,646
1. Saturday, May 19, 2012 - 11:04 AM
No thank you!  I won't even do business with Doral Bank and it's in Puerto Rico!  If I can't sleep peacefully buying CDs I may as well buy stocks! 
paoli2paoli21,142 posts since
Aug 10, 2011
Rep Points: 5,093
2. Saturday, May 19, 2012 - 11:43 AM
BEWARE !!!!!!!!

I got a scanner threat notice on that link. Rated #2 in the world threat by AVG
RicochetRicochet131 posts since
Jan 19, 2010
Rep Points: 358
3. Saturday, May 19, 2012 - 1:36 PM
Ricochet:  Have you PM'd or emailed Ken about the threat?  If it is infested, he should delete it asap.  Most readers may click on the link before they get to read your warning.  I don't think I bothered to click it.  Thanks!
Aug 10, 2011
4. Saturday, May 19, 2012 - 2:00 PM
I checked the site on McAfee, and it gives the site a green check mark. Also, Global Post appears to be a legitimate news site with 240,000 likes on Facebook.
Ken TuminKen Tumin5,442 posts since
Nov 29, 2009
Rep Points: 123,699
5. Saturday, May 19, 2012 - 2:36 PM
Thanks for checking it out further Ken.

AVG sometimes gives false positives I think. I dont really know how to check if the warning was true or not. but AVG did say it was blocked.   I ran Spybot Search and Destroy on my puter and it didnt detect anything.

My apologies  to the forum and no disrespect to Shorebreak.

RicochetRicochet131 posts since
Jan 19, 2010
Rep Points: 358
6. Saturday, May 19, 2012 - 8:07 PM
I dumped AVG years ago because of their false threat alerts. I've been logging on to the subject site for a long time with no infections. Thanks to Rocochet and Ken for pointing this out. Why does Paoli2 panic over everything? I've been on here too long to not check sites out for virus or malware before I pass articles or information on to others on this blog.
Apr 6, 2010
7. Saturday, May 19, 2012 - 8:41 PM
Shorebreak:  Why do you consider my post "panicing over everything" and ignore the fact that it was Ricochet who posted "BEWARE!!!"?  It never occurred to me that Ken would put unsafe links on his site until I read Ricochet's alarming post.  I have had to spend hundreds of dollars getting my computer fixed when it got a virus so, yes, I need to make sure I protect it.  I also have my virus protection but that isn't 100% foolproof. I appreciate the fact that you make sure to check sites out for virus or malware before passing articles on to us.  However, I resent the fact that you think I "panic" over everything just because you may not truly understand the intent of my posts.
Aug 10, 2011
8. Saturday, May 19, 2012 - 9:22 PM
Re: Paoli2 @ 7. Saturday, May 19, 2012 - 8:41 PM

I'm just going with your past history. I caught you misreading an article regarding the recent confirmation of two individuals to the Federal Reserve just the other day. Why did you just take the first post by Ricochet verbatum and run to Ken with it, like a little kid? I read that post again and the sheer "panic" on your part was truly evident. I'm done with addressing your concerns, which I have done many times in the past. You have burned your bridges too many times here.
Apr 6, 2010
9. Sunday, May 20, 2012 - 9:52 AM
Shorebreak:  I am so sorry I don't meet your high standards of perfection.  How nit-picking of you to find an error I made about the Fed.  If we are pointing at errors, YOU are the one who needs reading lessons.  If you will read my post to Ricochet correctly, you will note I asked him to go to Ken about the trouble.  I did not contact Ken.  If you call that "panicing" I suggest you give up driving and stay away from other humans.  I have not burned my bridges here until KEN decides I have.  Except for an error or two you will have a difficult time finding any Forum Policy rules I have broken.  I always try to be as cooperative and kind as possible in my posts.  I suggest since it is obvious you have a great dislike for me and now it is mutual, we avoid each other's posts.   We both have reasons why DepositsOnline is important to us so I suggest we do not turn this into an ugly "****-for-tat" for the sake of our continued use of Ken's much needed Forum/Blog.  
Aug 10, 2011
10. Sunday, May 20, 2012 - 10:22 AM
Sorry Paoli but Shorebreak is right.  Most of your posts read like you are having a fit and are pretty shrill in tone.   If your badgering in this forum about the petition is your version of cooperative and kind communication think again.  Oh, and by the way the goofy Fluffy and cherry pie posts are juvenile and don't add anything of value.  
ohreallyohreally21 posts since
Nov 16, 2011
Rep Points: 81
11. Sunday, May 20, 2012 - 10:46 AM
Ohreally:  Thank you so much for letting me know how you feel about my posts and the Petition.  I had no idea my posts were coming off in such a manner.  I will read but post as little as possible from now on.  I spoke to Ken about the Petition but since it is on it's own thread, he felt there was not really a problem with what I was doing.  However, I feel I should adhere to what the posters feel.  The writer has been out of town but should be back in a week.  I will talk to her about what she wants to do further.  I have exhausted myself trying to get signers but can do no more.

I will also contact the poster who jokes with me about Fluffy and Cherry Pie and let the poster know we must discontinue posts which don't add any value.  I felt if it were improper, Ken, would have deleted them but since they were usually just a sentence or two, they did not get deleted.  But we have to abide by what the posters want so I will do my part to see it is discontinued.  Thank you again for the constructive criticism.  We all really want what is best for Ken's Forum and Blog.
Aug 10, 2011
12. Sunday, May 20, 2012 - 9:59 PM
Paoli2, we've heard that from you before when you were posting as Paoli, see posts 104 and 106 in:

http://www.depositaccounts.com/blog/2011/05/bank-of-america-increases-cd-early-withdrawal-penalties.html

You said it yourself.  "...  It is a disservice to Ken to clutter up his great forum this way.  I will research it as I was doing before and will only post anonymously and reply to posts only if we are discussing financial information.  I apologize to all for my part in this and it ends NOW! "

Try harder to change your ways.
ohreallyohreally21 posts since
Nov 16, 2011
Rep Points: 81
13. Monday, May 21, 2012 - 10:50 AM
Oh Really:  I am sorry but I don't have all the spare time you seem to have to look up and read all my old posts.  I take your word for it that is what I wrote.  I must have drunk too much coca cola that day.  But if I wrote it, I need to stand by my word.  The other poster who was "bantering" with me has gone out of town but I have informed him of "your" rules and how we have to follow them.  What I don't understand is if our posts were so problemsome, why didn't the deleters just delete them?  Why do you have to be Sergent of Arms over the posts or is it just "my" posts you take so much time with to monitor?  Has Ken given you this responsibility?  Whatever, I do not want to waste my time over such drivel.  As I told you, the other poster as been forewarned so when he returns from his trip, he knows "you" will be reading everyone of our posts and we will be dealt with accordingly.  "School Days, School Days, Dear OLD Golden Rule Days".     For your information, I must have really meant to change my terrible ways when I posted those posts but I do have a tendancy to get caught up in posts if someone posts to me.  So why don't you put up a new rule and say "NO ONE IS ALLOWED TO READ OR RESPOND TO PAOLI'S POSTS!"  Alcoholics have the 12 step program so maybe you can at least allow me 2 steps to learn new posting behavior.  I recommend you don't waste your time or mine looking for more of my posts which break your rules.  I am sure you can find a lot.  What you can't find are posts which break Ken's Forum Policy or Paoli would have had more deletions.

"You" try harder to change your ways and maybe get a job so you won't have so much spare time to read my posts.  Have a good day, dear one.
Aug 10, 2011