Dedicated to Deposits: Deals, Data, and Discussion
Featured Savings Rates
Featured Accounts
Back to Financial News

Superbanked Consumers Make Up Only 5% Of Adults

Thursday, May 24, 2012 - 4:27 AM
I've seen the term "unbanked" used a lot. These are consumers who don't use banks or credit unions. However, this is the first time I've seen the term "superbanked consumers". Both are considered the extremes of the two ends of the retail banking spectrum and are described in this Financial Brand blog post:
The Scarborough study, “A Look Into Atypical American Banking,” set out to explore the demographics of consumers at the far extremes of either end of the retail banking spectrum: those who don’t use banks at all, and those who use banks a lot.

Superbanked are defined as consumers who have "a checking, savings, money market account and CD, and at least one of the following: stocks, options, bonds, mutual funds, money market funds, second home, investment property or other similar investments."

I'm surprised that only 5% of adults are superbanked. Based on the above definition, I would have guessed it would be closer to 20%.
Ken TuminKen Tumin5,442 posts since
Nov 29, 2009
Rep Points: 123,713
1. Thursday, May 24, 2012 - 12:46 PM
So what's the term for readers of this blog with dozens of checking accounts for promos they churn annually, a stack of debit cards for reward accounts, and a drawer full of credit cards?

Ultra-banked? :-)

I suspect many here skew the averages.
AtlantaWolfAtlantaWolf38 posts since
Jan 16, 2010
Rep Points: 170
2. Thursday, May 24, 2012 - 2:11 PM
So what's the term for readers of this blog with dozens of checking accounts for promos they churn annually, a stack of debit cards for reward accounts, and a drawer full of credit cards?

Ultra-banked? :-)

How about Bankaholics?  ; ()
StewieStewie56 posts since
Jan 18, 2010
Rep Points: 315
3. Thursday, May 24, 2012 - 2:28 PM
So what's the term for readers who do business with banks all over the area just to get higher CD rates, maybe about 15 banks or so?  I know people who do especially in these times of ultra low interest rates.
paoli2paoli21,142 posts since
Aug 10, 2011
Rep Points: 5,102
4. Friday, May 25, 2012 - 4:45 PM
Another idiot posting nonsense. Some folks just have to get their monthly-minimum word count, I guess.

What do these have to do with "banks" for example?

"and at least one of the following: stocks, options, bonds, mutual funds, money market funds, second home, investment property or other similar investments."

The proper term would be "investors", not "superbanked".

As I said, just some person facing a deadline who had to come up with a cute tag-line.

BozoBozo135 posts since
Feb 14, 2011
Rep Points: 917