Dedicated to Deposits: Deals, Data, and Discussion
Featured Savings Rates
Featured Accounts

Protecting Vital Documents

Saturday, June 2, 2012 - 10:04 AM
I discussed some of this issue in my post, Where Do You Keep Your Valuables? Safe Deposit Box, Home Safe?

This WSJ article recommends something else besides a safe deposit box or a home safe. It recommends that you store important documents electronically via online storage. It lists several online storage services like Dropbox, Microsoft SkyDrive, Google Drive and Apple iCloud.

Do you use any online storage for your important documents? There are security concerns. One thing that can help with this is to encrypt your files before uploading, but encryption doesn't eliminate the risk.
Ken TuminKen Tumin5,469 posts since
Nov 29, 2009
Rep Points: 125,077
1. Saturday, June 2, 2012 - 11:32 AM
I am basically a newbie when it comes to the personal computer.  I used to think that whatever I typed and stored in it was only for my eyes.  How can anyone else see my financial information unless I send the computer out for repair? I am not concerned about family members accessing my info but how can others see my info?  Thanks!
paoli2paoli21,372 posts since
Aug 10, 2011
Rep Points: 6,011
2. Saturday, June 2, 2012 - 12:28 PM
One way that your digital files (like a tax return copy) could be accessed by a thief is from malware and/or viruses on your own PC. If you're connected to the web, there is always a chance of your PC becoming infected with malware or a virus. That virus could then be used to steal your sensitive files.

Another way is if you upload digital files to a service like Dropbox. If a hacker finds a way to break into Dropbox, he could potentially access your digital files.
Ken TuminKen Tumin5,469 posts since
Nov 29, 2009
Rep Points: 125,077