Dedicated to Deposits: Deals, Data, and Discussion
Featured Savings Rates
Featured Accounts
Back to General Discussion

Details Of Bank Routing Numbers

Friday, June 15, 2012 - 5:45 AM
If you have accounts at internet banks, you are probably familiar with bank routing numbers, but do you know exactly what those numbers mean? This blog post at Free From Broke has an interesting review of the bank routing numbers and what the numbers mean.
Ken TuminKen Tumin5,442 posts since
Nov 29, 2009
Rep Points: 123,699
1. Friday, June 15, 2012 - 9:18 AM
Interesting info, Ken and thanks for posting.   Many people don't realize that, as the article points out, "Always be careful that who it is you’re providing your checking account and bank routing numbers to is an absolutely trusted source.  Anyone who has both numbers is in a position to not only to clean out your bank account, but also to engage in identity theft".    That is why I limit my use of checks to only a handful (pay property taxes, car registration, estimated tax payments, to get a modest amount of cash once a month, etc).  For all purchases (other than those required to meet reward checking account requirements) I use a credit card for the consumer protection it offers, or cash (rarely). 
pearlbrownpearlbrown1,356 posts since
Nov 2, 2010
Rep Points: 5,955
2. Friday, June 15, 2012 - 9:25 AM
This website has been useful to me in finding routing numbers for a financial institution, or finding a bank by its routing number.  You do have to be careful, though, as sometimes banks have more than one routing number, so of course when in doubt I call the institution to see which one is correct.   As an example, Bank of America has over 250 routing numbers associated with it. 
pearlbrownpearlbrown1,356 posts since
Nov 2, 2010
Rep Points: 5,955