Dedicated to Deposits: Deals, Data, and Discussion
Featured Savings Rates
Featured Accounts
Back to Comments and Questions

The Importance Of Paper Bank Statements?

Monday, July 2, 2012 - 6:29 AM
Do you still want paper statements from your bank? Or are e-statments adequate? For those who want paper statements that are mailed, that option is going to cost you at several banks. This MyBankTracker article has an interesting review of the policies of the largest U.S. banks.
Ken TuminKen Tumin5,441 posts since
Nov 29, 2009
Rep Points: 123,675
1. Monday, July 2, 2012 - 7:43 AM
Petagon Federal Credit Union:

Mailed Consolidated Statement of Accounts............ 0.50 per statement

Fee is waived if you receive your statements electronically or have a PenFed checking account with a Direct Deposit of at least $500 per month, or in states where it is prohibited by law.

ShorebreakShorebreak2,365 posts since
Apr 6, 2010
Rep Points: 12,597
2. Monday, July 2, 2012 - 8:07 AM
Yes, I still get all my statements in paper.  If their computers go down or mess up my accounts, I always want to have paper statements for proof.  So far, non of our banks or brokerages charge us for paper statements and I think that has a lot to do with the amount one keeps with them so you can be considered "in good standing".  I just don't trust our finances to computers entirely.
paoli2paoli21,140 posts since
Aug 10, 2011
Rep Points: 5,083
3. Tuesday, July 3, 2012 - 2:45 AM
Since most all reward checking accounts require electronic statements, many of us don't have the luxury of getting paper statements in the mail.

If that's the case, but you really want a paper statement, all you have to do is to hook up your computer to a printer and print out a copy of the electronic ststement. Seems pretty simple to me.
dunkerdunker135 posts since
Jun 11, 2010
Rep Points: 403