Dedicated to Deposits: Deals, Data, and Discussion
Featured Savings Rates
Featured Accounts

Motivational Seminars Have Surprise Dangers For Would Be Investors

Wednesday, July 4, 2012 - 6:26 AM
From Clark Howard's show notes:
Have you seen a motivational show with big name speakers coming to your area that offers free or cheap tickets? Beware of the unknown speakers between the big names because they may clean your wallet out.

Read more
Ken TuminKen Tumin5,471 posts since
Nov 29, 2009
Rep Points: 125,634
1. Wednesday, July 4, 2012 - 8:42 AM
The most important fact that one can learn from these so called Motivational Speakers is that they are there for one main reason.  To make money for themselves off of the attendees.  In my old hometown each Spring we had some excellent Seminars with speakers on practically every finance topic one needed to know about.   It was free and we could not only pick and choose what we were interested in but also take home written paperwork for the ones we could not attend because they might be at the same time as others we wanted.  It was truly a learning seminar and people could ask questions etc.  Those who led each class were professionals in their subject and only there to teach and not to promote any particular investment.  I would highly recommend these type seminars but I don't bother with the Motivational ones and all their "free" dinners for attending.  Those free dinners could end up being very costly to people who were taken in by the speakers.
paoli2paoli21,401 posts since
Aug 10, 2011
Rep Points: 6,135