Dedicated to Deposits: Deals, Data, and Discussion
Featured Savings Rates
Featured Accounts

Consolidating Savings Bonds and Tax Issues

Monday, February 22, 2010 - 7:38 AM
You can defer federal income tax on the interest from savings bonds until you redeem them or until 30 years. Dr. Don from Bankrate has some useful tips for a reader who wants to consolidate his savings bonds and avoid having to pay taxes. You used to be able to exchange EE savings bonds into HH savings bonds, but that's no longer possible. The best way to consolidate these days is to convert paper bonds into electronic bonds at TreasuryDirect.
Ken TuminKen Tumin5,471 posts since
Nov 29, 2009
Rep Points: 125,634