First Nebraska Bank is offering a high-yield reward checking account called Real Checking. The account has the following rates and features if certain monthly requirements are met:
- 3.00% APY on balances up to $25,000
- 0.50% APY on portion of balance over $25,000
- 0.25% on all balances if requirements are not met
- ATM fee refunds nationwide up to $25 per cycle
The monthly requirements include:
- 10 Visa check card purchases
- One direct deposit or automatic payment
- Receive electronic statements
Additional features of the account regardless of the monthly requirements include:
- $25 minimum initial deposit
- No minimum balance requirements
- No monthly service charge
- Multiple accounts can be opened, but requirements must be met for each to earn the top rate
There's an online application at the bank's micro-website. However, the application states that you are expected to come into a branch to complete the application process.
Branches are located in the Nebraska cities of Arcadia, Brainard, Columbus, Decatur, Emerson, Stanton and Valley.
The bank's ratings for safety and soundness are strong: 4 stars (excellent) at BauerFinancial (based on 6/30/09 data) and 5 stars (superior) at Bankrate.com (based on 3/31/09 data). First Nebraska Bank has been a FDIC member since 1934 (FDIC Certificate # 12248).
Other Reward Checking Accounts
To find reward checking accounts in other areas of the nation or to learn more about these accounts, please refer to my High Yield Checking website.
- 02/01/11: 3.00% APY up to $25K
- 07/07/10: 4.00% APY up to $25K
- 10/05/09: 5.00% APY up to $25K; 0.50% over; 0.25% base