First Technology Federal Credit Union Reviews

First Tech Is The Worst Financial Institution I've Ever Experienced!

Posted by: zgirl | Jul 18, 2016

I usually don't write reviews but today I feel like I have to write one. First Tech is the worst financial institution I've ever been dealing with! Recently, I have deposited 2 money orders. One about a month ago, the other one just 3 days ago. The first money order went through via mobile deposit. "Your mobile deposit was successful" said their mobile site. 3 days later the money order was rejected and I received an email to re-deposit and money order amount was removed. I had a bill pay pending. I had to run to the ATM to re-deposit the money order. 4 days later the money order was rejected due to a "poor image". I didn't even receive a phone call nor email that the available funds were removed. I've decided to close my account after this experience but the bank teller said "give us one more chance". 5 days later I've had the same problem with another ATM deposit. Waiting for the check to receive via USPS, re-deposit and close my checking account.

First Tech is the worst financial institution, the available funds are not really available, their website never works, when you try to call their customer service you spend an incredibly long time on hold. Today, when I tried to reach the customer support the voice message said "the wait time is longer than usual, there are 49 callers in front of you". WOW!

STAY AWAY FROM FIRST TECH!
I wish I could give them negative stars. Shame on you, First Tech!

Horrendous Experience

Posted by: NinaP | May 12, 2016

I travel to Europe regularly and felt the need for a true chip and pin card as our American chip and signature cards are not accepted at gas stations and automated kiosks. After researching the options for some time, I applied here. In addition to checking out the possibilities, I should have also read the numerous reviews. It seems as though the only people who are satisfied with this institution are foreign nationals who are here working in the tech industry.
My experience with First Tech has been ridiculous from start to finish. I have an outstanding credit history of almost 50 years standing, own my own home outright, pay cash for new cars and do not ever carry a balance on my Platinum American Express or Platinum Visa. There is nothing on their application to indicate the types of documentation they want which makes it impossible to have an informed opinion as to whether one should proceed.
I was first asked for proof of identity which is reasonable, although I was concerned about sending color copies of my social security card, drivers license and utility bill as an email attachment. First Tech assured me it was secure. I was then asked for TWO years of income tax returns with ALL schedules and supplements. Every time I questioned the reasons and need for such documents, and their security and manner of handling such sensitive information, I was simple told it was their "policy" and it was secure. Against my better judgement, I complied with THAT request.
Now, a week later, I am asked for IRS transcripts!!! I consider this to be outrageous and immediately told them to cancel my application and assure me the documentation was properly destroyed. Customer service has been anything but. In every instance, I was treated as if they were doing me a favor by deigning to even deal with me. I strongly recommend one look elsewhere for any and all financial needs.

Used To Be Good - Not Anymore

Posted by: lonnerz | Jan 8, 2016

I've been using First Tech for many years; in fact around here (Eugene, OR) they are known for competing with Selco Credit Union for being top notch.

However I have noticed in the last 6 months things have been degrading fast. It started when they announced they were replacing all Visa's with Mastercard's. I had cards that were mailed but never arrived and then long after they had said the cards were cancelled and new ones sent out; suddenly I would be called by fraud protection about the use of an old card that was supposedly cancelled to ensure that didn't happen.

I had a Debit card replaced with Mastercard in the fall of 2015 and even today, in January 2016, I am contacted most days by the Fraud protection where somehow the 2015 Visa card that First Tech swears they cancelled, is somehow still recieving charges in 2016.

Then there is the "Fraud Protection" which is more like "we are going to freeze your account every few days for reoccuring common charges" and the staff has been extremely rude to me during those phone calls.

The last straw was today when First Tech swore that the Fraud Protection company had frozen my account and the Fraud Protection company swore the bank was lying. When I asked the Fraud protection company to explain who I can get to have the two companies talk she said "hold on one moment" and transferred me to some poor person at First Tech who had no idea who I was and couldn't help me.

Having worked quite awhile in the customer service field I know how it can be to have the hard customers and do my best to see them at their best, but your company and the company you are employing to run your "Fraud protection" have caused me to cancel my accounts today and move to Selco Credit Union.

Worse Customer Service Ever

Posted by: philly_2 | May 5, 2015

I've been a customer since this credit union was known as Addison Avenue since 1996. Back then service was good and people were friendly on the phone. Not any more. I have encountered extremely rude service people on the phone and I had a paypal issue where paypal presented the same transaction tree times even though there was unsufficient fees the first time around. First Tech refused to reverse any of the fees charged to me and told me to simply talk to PayPal. I'm extremely disappointed with this credit union.

Great Seattle area credit union!

Posted by: kwn199 | Mar 12, 2015

Being new to Seattle, First Tech Credit Union was included on a list provided by my employer who have preferred programs for employees. I lean towards supporting credit unions over large banks after some bad past experiences and I've been very happy with FCU. They have one of the better interest rates for checking up to $10k and I haven't paid any fees in the past 6 months - you just have to use your debit card 12 times in a month to get ATM refunds and qualify for the premium interest rate. One cool feature on their mobile app is the ability to photograph checks for deposit - it comes in handy for the few that I get here and there.

Too Many Processing Errors... Attempt To Whitewash...

Posted by: Embezzled | Jul 4, 2014

...loan payoffs not credited, loan collateral not released.

1300- funds still not released, after the loan balances were paid off over 3 months ago.
Rolling late fees still accruing on a paid off loan.

Previously, representatives corrected errors when they were asked..
but more recently they get yanked to the back office.. and return with a denial
that an error exists, even after the rep acknowledges seeing the completed
payment and the lack of collateral crediting, on FTFs own website.

Ineptness--or embezzlement?

I was reminded by an attorney that fraud has no statute of limitations.

It's important to save the online history offline.

Raised Credit Card Interest Rate By 50%

Posted by: tomb1234 | Jul 16, 2013

Been with the credit union for about 19 years. Last month they 'reviewed' all the credit worthiness of their members. I was in the 'best' group, so they only changed my rate from 6% to 9%. I know, I know... how come you are complaining... you were only paying 6%! The point is this was an increase of 50%! This, in an environment where the feds are virtually giving money away... thus the negligible savings and CD rates. Either the Visa corporation or the CU is the culprit, but the CU has not been the same since I joined here in Oregon. Their response... well... "all of the members were reviewed and you are in the best 'new' interest rate." .... just happens to be 50% higher.

A Great, Trustworthy Credit Union Has Turned Into An Unreliable, Horrendous Mess.

Posted by: dogpa914 | May 17, 2013

First Tech (which was Addison Avenue, and before that HP FCU) has evidently decided that it's better to be big than it is to be good.  After banking there for almost 30 years, we've watched this institution go from great to mediocre to bad to worse.

Reliable, safe, personalized services with solid processes have become a maze of disconnected processses combined with terrible communication.  Simple, straightforward transactions seem to now take place almost randomly- automated checks and transfers happen several days early- or several days late.  E-statements are delivered, and then stop.  We're asked to supply proof of ID for the Patriot Act....7 different times.  People say they'll get back to us- and then don't.

Our latest experience is a refinance of our home mortgage, and it's been a complete nightmare.  Documents are lost.  Documents are requested by different people, and then another person tells us all of them are "already in the system".   We're told "everything is on track", and then there's a panicked note for more information...which was already sent.  After three escalations,  the process still could not be completed in 60 days- and we were told that it was a good thing we escalated, because we really "should have to pay a fee to extend the rate lock".  Promises are repeatedly made to get things moving...and then the promises are subsequently broken.  Over, and over, and over again- right down to the final signatures.  It's been a nightmare.

Avoid this organization unless and until it gets it's stuff working again- and enter into a loan process with them only if you enjoy frustration, irritation, and generalized anger at fellow human beings.

Nothing But Trouble Here! Find Another Bank!!

Posted by: fatiswatis | Aug 8, 2012

I would give them zero stars if I could!!!

I was with Addison Avenue for years and then they merged with this crappy bank called First Tech Federal Credit Union. That was their first problem. They have the WORST customer service, go through employees like crazy (everytime I go in there are different people), and each time they say they will fix a mess up THEY DID it never actually gets fixed. I have let two mistakes pass and on this third one I can no longer deal with it. I will tell everyone about how terrible this bank is. They haven't reported on one of my credit cards in OVER A YEAR (balances, payments, etc,) I called and emailed in asking that they do this and they said to give them 30 days and it would be taken care of. It has now been 5 months with nothing done. Today they decide to do two transfers when I scheduled one 5 days ago! Now I am overdrafted in one account because the amount and date came out incorrect. They say there is nothing they can do. At this point I am cancelling all of my accounts and making people aware of how bad this place is. Look at another bank! Save your time and money! This place has just okay rates on things anyways!!

Great Online Experience. Great Rates. OK Customer Service. Occasional Screw Up.

Posted by: peterwi | Jun 6, 2012

I have been a member for 20+ years and I have been satisfied with First Tech Federal Credit Union and think it is the best choice of banking institution in my area.  During the recent Bank Transfer Day I looked at other credit unions in the area and the rates at First Tech beat them.  Their credit card rewards program is better.  Their online experience is good and evolving although system upgrades can be painful with residual issues that are eventually fixed.  Their dividend rewards checking giving 2.55% yield on $10K (as of 6/6/2012) is better than other local banks.  There are no unreasonable fees.  You don't feel you are being nickel and dimed.  I think customer service could be more knowledgeable sometimes but I rarely contact them and the online experience is what matters to me.  I appreciate that First Tech is a non-profit and I feel they intend to to create a good banking experience for me and don't look at my relationship as a way to harvest profits or trap me into fees.  I occasionally benchmark against other banks and credit unions but I've always stayed with First Tech.  Anyone can actually get an account by becoming a member of the Financial Fitness Association.  It's a $5 fee that First Tech will pay for you for the first year and then you can just let it expire.  Nice loophole.

Pretty Good

Posted by: dbasch | Jan 11, 2012

I have had my issues with First Tech as well. Things are a bit wonky sometimes.

Where they are great, is that they always fix the problems and admit fault. Try getting that with a big bank.

All the employees are pleasent and helpful with excellent English skills.

Overall, they are a good CC in my opinion.

Terrible Customer Service And Low Interest Rates

Posted by: Anonymous | Oct 6, 2011

I was a member of Addison Avenue Credit Union which merged with First Tech last year. From the time of the merger to now the customer service has been terrible. Now they plan to change the dividend rewards checking so that rather than receiving 2.05% on $25,000, you will receive 2.55% on $10,000 and 0.31% on anything above $10,000. Sure you can move money in excess of $10,000 to a savings account, but they recently dropped the savings account interest rate from .7% to .55% for savings accounts with at least $10,000.& For savings accounts with less than $10,000 the rate is .2% or .05%. Addison Avenue was a great credit union. First Tech is a great disappointment.

I Actually Wanted To Post No Star For The Rating...

I have had nothing but problems with this Credit union. I am telling ALL my friends and all their friends about the problems I have encountered. I had called to have my loan pay due dates moved to the 15th and the 20th. After being told the due dates were re adjusted, I called again to verify, again I was told the dates were the 15th and the 20th. This month I ended up overdrawn. Guess what happened? First Tech withdrew my money on the 13th anyway. I had to run to two different banks to straighten this out as well as call the credit union several times to figure out what happenend. Well the due dates were moved, to the 15th and the 20th but they still pulled the money on the 13th??? What about this  makes sense?? They just had my money for two extra days that is the only difference it made when I called to change the due date of my loan. Why would I go to the trouble to do that if I wanted the money withdrawn on the 13? There have been several other issues that have come up since then. Just want everyone to know, be careful some things are not as they seem.