State Farm Bank Reviews

Who Is It? It'S A Valued State Farm Customer!

Posted by: Greg2016 | Apr 27, 2016

I feel like a valued customer every time I work with State Farm bank. The website is easy to use and convenient when I'm away from home. The customer service is always quick to please and super helpful. I can't imagine banking anywhere else!

State Farm is a bank for people with simple needs.

Posted by: Jordan16 | Jan 29, 2016

My homeowner's agent is also a customer, and she talked me into trying out this checking account. I've never gotten around to closing it, but right off the bat, I cant deposit cash. I cant cash a check instantly. Checks were rejected due to poor image quality, and no notification was given to resubmit the image. I left this account linger around for about a year, and took a vacation last month. I had my sister come to my house and write checks and upload them to the State Farm account. That was convenient, but it had drawbacks, I uploaded two checks on a Friday morning, and immediately was told the funds were approved, processed and would be available shortly by separate emails. The funds weren't available at 2am Saturday when I went to bed, but they were there when I woke up. I recently bounced two transactions 6 times, because of the way they were submitted, each time the larger one would be submitted and overdrawn and then the smaller one would be submitted and further overdrawn. I paid $150 in bounced check fees, and still don't have those bills paid; so that is pretty impressive. In pretty good with money, and it's rare that I overdraw my account, and the way it went on and on is ridiculous. However, if you are going to bounce a check, they have a cheaper fee than most banks; maybe that is why they let them bounce so many times. State Farm does have one redeeming feature, in that they refund ATM fees. I suppose if you have direct deposit from a job, or for a savings account or something, it would be OK, but it isn't practical for a person with a business that needs to access a bank regularly.

SF Bank - Great for low maintenance banking!

This was my first experience with a non-traditional bank, in the sense there are no brick-and-mortar branches to visit. They take care of ATM fees, have very flexible deposit options, including e-deposits, competitor ATMs and postage-paid mail. You can get as many of the postage envelopes as you would need from any State Farm agent, and they process pretty quickly. No frills, just no-fee banking, which is all I am looking for. Thank you!

Friendly Reps, bad CD

Posted by: Jedi2002 | Dec 9, 2014

I started banking with Sate Farm in 2006. I remember being extremely skeptical because my agent kept telling me there was "no brick and mortar building" and that everything was truncated. I never went in to my bank anyway, so I thought I'd try it. I ended up banking with them for 6 years, and only had to call and talk to someone a few times. They have the most friendly customer service reps out of any place I have ever called, but they don't always help you in a timely manner. When I had an issue with my CD rolling over when I didn't want it to (they sent me no notification that it was coming due- I was completely blindsided) it took me almost ALL day to finally get to talk to a supervisor. That woman on the phone was still very sweet, but ended up making me pay an early withdraw penalty instead of reversing what had happened. I did stop banking with them after that, but only because I found better CD rates. I do miss their checking.

State Farm Banking Online Review

I have had mixed experiences with State Farm Bank. On one hand, they refund you unlimited ATM fees from other institutions, since they don't have any of their own. But on the flip side, it can be tricky to add money to your account. Yes they have a photo deposit app for phones, but this isn't the same turn around as driving to a local branch. It's particularly frustrating if an overdraft fee ($25) is assessed because you aren't able to visit a physical branch to make a deposit.

My Thoughts

Posted by: robov2 | Oct 23, 2014

I have banked with State Farm for 9 years and would give them 5 stars all around with the exception of internet transactions. They seem hesitant to keep up with other institutions in that department.
Their customer service is outstanding. They have gone out of their way to help me in matters that I offered to do myself.
Fees: reasonable. They even refunded all or half of some late fees without me asking!
I give them 4 3/4 stars.

Banking made simple

Posted by: Annie | Oct 4, 2014

State Farm Bank is a great online bank. It's easy to get it set up, and you can have your checks direct deposited. And there are no fees to use your debit card at ATMs, so it's not like other banks. It's much better! State Farm Bank also has options for CDs, Mutual Funds, Retirements, and IRAs. The checking accounts have no monthly fees and there isn't a minimum amount that you have to have in the account, so it's great for those that are on a budget.

Great service!!

Posted by: BigMike | Oct 3, 2014

Today i am writing a review for state farms online banking. Which is an excellent service for the fact it is easy to use and is not all confusing and jumbled up like some websites especially some banking sites that are some cumbersome overall and very unintuitive and not user friendly.Which allows you to make transactions quick and easy with no problems or just check your balance simply by a quick check. The customer service is also great if you have any issues or questions they are apt and quick to help without seeming confusing or misguided

Good Bank

Posted by: KC2 | Aug 10, 2014

Been with State Farm Bank for about 15 years. Very happy with service received. Customer service is helpful and prompt. Website has undergone changes, which have been on occasion annoying simply because I have to get accustomed to a different layout, etc. Overall, internet banking is much easier for me since everything can be done from home.

Posted by: joejoe | Mar 5, 2014

***BEWARE**** BASED ON MY EXPERIENCE WITH THEM, YOU WILL VERY LIKELY REGRET EVER DOING BUSINESS WITH THIS BANK !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Do Not Use For An IRA CD

Posted by: Madeline | Oct 8, 2013

State Farm says you can go to the local State Farm Insurance Agent and complete all the paperwork to open an IRA account.  They do not have a clue how to file the forms or transer to another institution. The rep had to call State Farm Bank and speak to an IRA specialist.  The forms were still filled out wrong and the transfer never was received by the bank holding the closing CD.  I had to pick up the check and open at another bank.

Cashing In CDs

Posted by: ABCde12345 | Aug 2, 2013

They made my 85 year old Father, in a retirement home, try to answer multiple choice questions then after I assisted him with the answers they put a hold on his account.  The reason is he needed assistance in answering the questions;  he's 85 and wasn't sure if they purchased his last house in 68 or 69.  Some of the questions go back 45 years asking about things he couldn't remember.  All he wanted was to have a check sent to the address they have on file!!!!! Now I have to take him to a local agent so he can get his own money.  If I wasn't around he wouldn't understand what needs to be done just to get his money.

If you bank with this company good luck getting your money if you forget things in your past!

Multiple New Security Questions

Posted by: Daph3ne | May 20, 2013

Extremely annoying having to answer at least 4 different multiple choice questions after I have signed in correctly.

These questions go back 20 years asking about cars, addresses, phone numbers, did a child live at such and such address, state, thirty years ago. Who remembers car, phone , house built twenty years ago. Feel like it is truly an invasion of my privacy. A phone call to SFB states it is another agency who compiles the question. RIGHT!! All the info is coming from State Farm. I understand security but this goes beyond original security questions and it occurs every other time you sign into your accounts. Next it will be a Drome overhead.

Poor Privacy Safeguards

Posted by: griddy2 | Sep 29, 2012

They printed all of my personal information including full social security number, date of birth, drivers license number, address and account number and put it in the regular mail.  They said it was for a signature card.  Can you imagine if someone had intercepted my mail or it was delivered to the wrong address or got lost?  Everything was printed out and would have been great for someone wanting to steal my identity.

Save Yourself The Headache

If you want to deal with poor customer service whenever you're in a pinch, SF Bank is your best bet. I've been on the phone with several representatives trying to get a new debit card. The short story is, my account was hacked and it has been one ordeal after another getting State Farm Bank to do anything about sending me a new card, replacing the funds, or even getting a representative to care at all. And since there are no brick and mortar buildings, good luck with ever having immediate access to your account or dealing with a person face to face. Save yourself the headache!

Online Banking WAS GOOD BEFORE "WE LISTENED TO YOU" Now It Is Useless

Posted by: billr | May 13, 2012

Before 2012 state farm bank was working perfectly, you could pay insurance online, cash state farm dollars online to apply to your premiums. now i have to pay by check because the software no longer works for online payments (a blank page comes up when you try to pay) and my state farm dollars "disappear" when i try to use them, but nothing is applied to my premiums. they have obviously hired a new programmer who wants to make a name for him/her self by taking something that had zero problems and screwing it all up. i may cancel my credit card accounts. now i am getting 'cannot access server due to technical difficulties" this is a major messup on state farms behalf. very frustrated!!!!!

State Farm Bank Loan

Posted by: Anonymous | Apr 18, 2012

I contacted State Farm about a auto loan. I have used them over the years. This time I was lied to about the loan and its terms. Then they tried to cover it up by refusing to talk to me with the excuse they were not allowed to talk to me about it. I pushed until I got answers. I will never use State Farm Bank again.

A Great On Line Bank!

Posted by: PVTom | Feb 2, 2012

I started online banking with B of A in the 90's and was very pleased with the many advantages online banking offered. The cobo of brick and motor branches and ATM's everywhere made them hard to beat. I was very happy and reluctant to even consider any other bank even with my State Farm Agent's encouragement to check out SFB. However the day he said that I could use any ATM with any bank, etc. and SFB would return the charges to me, I took the time to check out SFB. I started with a Visa card to see how the internals of the Internet transactions were handled. I had big doulbs that this up start bank (1999) could really compete with my cutting edge, and mega size bank.

To my surprise and delight SFB surpassed all my expectations. The first thing I noticed was they provided just the right amount of security on my SFB Visa card and lower interests rate than B of A or other cards. Security is a big issue for me, I want it but not at the expense of needlessly shutting my card down or phone calls with every potential security breach. I was amazed with their spot on security detection.

Not only did they offer all the benefits of B of A but offered big advantages. The biggest advantage was being able to use any ATM, anywhere and pay no charges.SFB paid much higher interest rates on all my checking and savings accounts. The only draw back to this bank is if you or your business deals in cash. You will need to look around to find an ATM that will accept a cash deposit for your cash deposit needs. It's not a problem for my needs. If you can't find a local ATM that will accept cash deposits for SFB, you may want to maintain an account with the likes of B of A to handle your cash deposit needs.

One last thing, the service is great day or night, you get to talk to a real person quickly, that you can understand, and not have to wade through deep accents.

Mortgage Refi

I dealt with a guy named Chris.  Don't waste time with these clowns.  He tried to jack up my rate.  When I got the paperwork the rate was higher than posted on the website even tho my credit was 810 and he did not respond to my calls.  These guys want a perfect scenario and don't consider any variations.  Also, they will sell your info and do the credit inquiory without the consent.

State Farm Bank In A Word: Incompetent

I am a current customer with a State Farm Bank Checking account.

I've had numerous accounts with multiple institutions. I've never seen a more poorly managed and stunningly inconsistent financial institution. I continue to receive conflicting information based on what part of the Bank I'm in contact with depending on the issue. For example, one part says the bank can't do this or that while other staff at the bank say my account is fine and they absolutely support this or that. I've actually got a form on my desk from one part of the bank requiring my signature while another part of the bank says I don't need to sign it and that everything is fine with my account.

The nail in the coffin for State Farm Bank is the fact that they don't support Mint.com or Quicken. Yep, it's 2012 and State Farm Bank does not allow you to download transactions into Mint.com nor do they allow you to download transactions into Quicken (Express Web Connect or Direct Connect). What's amusing is that over the four weeks it took me to confirm this with State Farm Bank, their online support staff would say that it does, then they would get their terms wrong (not knowing the difference between "Direct Connect" and "Express Web Connect"), and then say that they don’t support Mint.com or Quicken at all.

Their telephone support agents are polite and cheerful. However, they can only do so much. The bank's back-office staff are poorly trained, uninformed, and (based on their very poorly written communication) stupid.

I can summarize State Farm Bank up in one word: incompetent.

I can not, and do not, recommend State Farm Bank for anyone. Look elsewhere for your banking needs. The benefits of ATM access are not worth the hassle and stunning incompetence that is State Farm Bank.

One Of The Better Online Banks For Checking/Bill Pay/Atm

Posted by: joewaca | Sep 22, 2011

State Farm has a very good bill pay/transfer between accounts system compared with the clunker I use at my credit union. They also refund your ATM card usage at the end of every month, which I find invaluable for travelling. And if you desperately need to give a physical check to someone you can go to most State Farm agents. Real people answer the phone and I've been helped in minutes with a problem.

I've had an Ally bank account, and I think they have slightly better rates and a similar deal with the ATM card. I think its irritating how you have to sign up for this through an agent, but it only takes 5 minutes and its about as timeconsuming as when I signed up for a Chase or Ally bank account online.

Poor Credit Card Department