- 3.30% APY on balances up to $25,000
- 1.01% on portion of balance over $25,000
- 0.25% APY base rate if requirements are not met
- ATM fee refunds nationwide up to $35 per cycle
- 12 check card purchases
- One direct deposit or other ACH auto debit
- Receive e-statements
- $50 minimum initial deposit
- No monthly service charge
- No minimum balance requirement
It appears that a branch visit is required to open an account. Branches are located in Houston and cities south of Houston.
The bank's ratings for safety and soundness are very strong: 5 stars (superior) at Bankrate.com and 5 stars (superior) at BauerFinancial. Both ratings are based on 6/30/09 financial data. The bank has been a FDIC member since 1934 (FDIC Certificate # 3206).
Thanks to the reader who emailed me news of this reward checking account.
Other Reward Checking Accounts
To find reward checking accounts in other areas of the nation or to learn more about these accounts, please refer to my High Yield Checking website.