RBS Citizens, National Association Reviews

Access To Funds

I had several accounts that transferred from Albank/CharterOne to Citizens and I was very happy with the local bank and their customer service. In 2006 I relocated to Florida and have attempted to bank remotely with limited success. Citizens bank recently established a fee structure that is not at all consumer friendly so I consolidated all my accounts under on “Money Market Savings” account. I decided to transfer the money to a local FCU who has policies that are very consumer friendly and they still pay decent interest. This is where the nightmare started about 2 months ago. Because I can not walk up to the bank and withdraw my money I have tried the following without success. Transfer initiated at Citizens to the local FCU - failed. Transfer initiated at the FCU to extract the money – failed. And the last attempt was a bank by mail which also failed. Good thing I was not in a rush for the funds. I would not recommend this bank to anyone who can not walk up to a local bank.

Horrible Phone Banking, Ok In Bank Experience, Online Banking Is Simple

This bank is good overall except their new fee structure. Also the phone tech support SUCKS. The bank representatives over the phone are constantly saying one thing when the next they say the complete opposite. I have had a premium circle account with them for almost 10 years and I am being forced to close it and open up accounts at a different bank due to the new fees, removal of the points program, etc...  Overall this bank was a 5 star bank years ago and has slowly been falling into a deep hole that they are refusing to climb out of.

If you’re looking for a bank with no hidden fees, or a “free” checking/savings account don’t look here!

Custemer Service And Bank Policy The Worst Ever

I read lots of reviews and see lots of businesses that are running bed, THE WORST EVER IS CITIZEN BANK, WATERBURY,CT.....

the employees are rude, BANK POLICY SUCKS, THEY ARE CHARGING $7.00 TO CASH A CHECK (THERE OWN CHECK), you belive that, they are charging you doing there job

Accounting Trickery To Increase Number Of Fees

I wasn't able to make a deposit to prevent an overdraft because the bank closed very early before a holiday, and my account became overdrawn that evening. The bank then re-ordered the posting order of the withdrawals so that I was charged three $39 fees instead of one fee. When I went into the bank after the holiday, they said they would refund ONE of the fees, meaning that I would have to pay two fees -- even though I should have been charged just one fee. I ended up yelling at the bank manager, and I closed my account. I had been a good cu stomer for six years, but that didn't matter to them. These people REALLY don't care about their customers.

Poor Customer Service, Lack Of Ownership

I've been using Citizens Bank for my business for over three years now, and now am beginning to have issues. I would not recommend them to anyone going forward due to their handling of this situation.

I run a small business, my accounts are linked to QuickBooks by data extracts that Citizens Bank provides. Within the past 4 months Citizens Bank made a system change that resulted in duplicate financial entries being created. When approached with this situation they refused to acknowledge that an issue was occurring and refused to accept proof from me that their applications were causing the issue. Instead they directed me to a topic on the QuickBooks site, #5033 which basically outlines a manual process for removing duplicate transactions... Oh boy as if I haven't been doing that already for the past 4 months working around the issue created by Citizens Bank.

It's amazing that such a big bank refused to take responsibility for situations they created, and also refused to accept verifiable evidence of the issue that could have been used by their technical organization to research the concern.

Poor Service. Maximize The Fees

Like several other folks posting about Citizens, I have been a loyal 30 year customer through aquisitions, etc.  Over the past several years there is less emphasis on service, and much more about any way to get a buck.  Several recent issues will force me to leave as a customer.  It's bad business to provide poor service and expect customer loyalty in a competitive marketplace.  I'm looking at ratings on this site to make an informed decision on my next bank.

They Sent Me A Letter 3 Days Before Stating They Were Closing My Business Account.

I have been a loyal customer with RBS for over 5 years, and they decided to terminate my account giving me 3 days notice that my account was going to be terminated.  They would not provide me with any reasoning in why the account was terminated either.

A Decent Bank, Except For Their New Fees Lately

I have been with Citizens' Charter One bank in the Midwest for about 10 years, and overall I must say, if your needs are low, they are a fine bank. I write a few checks per month, deposit even less, don't do online banking, and visit the walk-in branch a couple times a year. For that, COB has always seemed nicely okay. They also treat (me) well: their fees are (not great, but) tolerable, I seldom get their sales mail or calls, and their in-branch and telephone staff have always been polite, if a little in-flexible at times. In fact, if not for some recent new annoying fees (that hopefully will be short-lived), I would have given them 4 stars.

Long-Term Account Holder, Mostly Satisfied

I have banked with RBS' Charter One Bank in IL for about ten years now, and I can say that, for the most part, they are a decent bank. Granted, my needs are few; I don't write many checks, deposit even less, do no online banking, and only visit the walk-in branch a couple times a year. So, for my needs, COB has served me nicely. They don't hound me with junk mail or sales calls, their branch staff always seems very polite, and, until recently, their fees were (not great but) tolerable. In fact, if not some new fees lately that seem rather petty (and hopefully will be short-lived), I would have given them 4 stars.

Nickel And Diming

i have been a loyal customer to citizens for over 12 years, and even though they've done a few things and kept adding fees, i stayed with them. they have added fee after fee and changed some features that used to be free without giving me any warning that that was going to happen. i really regret the decision to stay with them and wish that i had switched banks a very long time ago

Arrogant People And Crazy Fees

I took a $3900 check from a Citizens Bank customer. When I tried to cash it, they wanted a $9 fee, my fingerprints, and wouldn't give me the cash for 24 hours! When I complained to the manager I was told to adhere to the bank's policy or cash the check somewhere else. IT WAS DRAWN ON THEIR BANK! Why should I have to pay a fee or cash it somewhere else. This is a horrible bank! NEVER take a check from a Citizens Bank customer.

Don't Value You As A Customer

This bank looks for every opportunity to charge you additional fees. Their free checking account is misleading and their customer service department on the telephone has no interest in listening to you or expressing empathy. They don't value you as a customer. Use another bank.

RBS Citizens,National Assn

I lost $520 in non-authorized ATM withdrawals. I spent hours trying to find out how someone accessed one of my checking accounts. We only discovered this 2 years later. I prepared many pages of my reports and questions for the bank. Their only answer was that it was too long ago to know. There are many details to know which I will not go into now. I am withdrawing $700K of cash and securities from Citizens.

Not Customer Oriented

I have done business with Citizens for over 20 years. In the last few years they have gone from a great bank to a "bad experience". All they want to do is sell you something constantly. Really annoying to cash a check and have a teller question why the balance in your checking account is "x" dollars and would you like to "talk with someone" about opportunities to better manage your money. Translation: can we sell you something today? An annuity, savings bonds, lock up your money at low interest? The fact that I can keep that much money in a checking account would seem to indicate that I have done pretty well at managing my money over the years. I don't need the aggravation this bank causes. Ask ten people at the bank the same question and get 10 different answers. I am now a former customer. I want a bank, NOT a constant sale job.

I Will Close My Account With Citizens.

I total agree the previous one star review.

Here is more. Citizens Bank starts to charge $3/mo for paper statement in June. The notice, which I missed, was given in April statement under a memo section that used to be filled with their useless product ads. I was told by branch manager that you should look carefully at your statement. The bank has the right to do the same kind thing in the future. LOOK CAREFULLY AT YOUR STATEMENT.