TrustCo Bank Reviews

Do Not Bank Here!

I had the unfortunate experience of receiving a counterfeit bill from Trustco. They told me they would not reimburse the money even though they issued the fake bill. I had to file a police report. The banks position was that customers are responsible for counting the money (which I totally understand), and also responsible for determining whether their money is real or fake! I couldnt believe it. Two employees also said they hand out fake bills often. Dont go here & get burned.

No Protection Against Fraud

I have an account at the Windermere Fl branch and have major concerns about this banks’ ability to protect accounts against fraud.  On June 1, 2013 I noticed numerous fraudulent transactions in a pending status totaling almost $800.00 in my account.  I immediately called the customer service number on my card only to learn that this bank has no support on weekends.  I then called the Windermere branch only to learn that they cannot do anything until Monday when customer service re-opens.  On Monday, the local branch failed to act when they opened so all of the pending fraudulent transactions posted to my account.

On June 3. 2013 I completed affidavits for each fraudulent transaction and on June 5, 2013 provided the branch with a police report.  I have contacted the branch on a daily basis and they cannot provide me with any information on when my account will be re-credited for the fraudulent amounts charged to my account.

If you are considering a relationship with this bank I would think about the lack of "after banking hours" support and their inability to handle potential fraud situations.  In their slogan they claim to be the home town bank but it is more like the backwards bank.

“Crooks And Scam Artists”

“Crooks and Scam artists”  They stole my own money out of my banking account now I have to wait weeks and weeks for the paper work just to see if I get it back... Trustco Bank  3707 New York 43 , West

Trustco Scam

I opened an account in 2010 thinking I'll be using it often but only made a $20 deposit and haven't used it since. I went to the local branch today to close my account and I found out that these crooks have closed it and won't refund my deposit claiming that there is a 'returned mail" fee that was assessed on the account. Ridiculous!!! I get mail every day, it's impossible to have only Trustco mail returned furthermore, I do have several letters from them extending some other financial products and offers... Even if the mail got returned they should call and ask for an updated address, they had my phone number, they had my wife's cell#... When asked to produce evidence that the mail was returned, the manager said that they probably don't have the mail any longer because it gets destroyed after a certain period of time but she will ask for it and if they have it they'll show it to me. It's been ONLY 3 months since the account was closed aren't they supposed to keep the evidence or documents for at least 1 year? This is a complete lie, a fabrication from the bank seeing no activity on the account, instead of putting effort into creating activity or contacting the customer, they decided to close the account and cash the funds hoping that the account owner doesn't remember he/she had an account or maybe he/she has passed away... Despite the insignificant amount this is an outrageous behavior from a financial institution and these crooks are  in for a big surprise... Stay tuned

Terrible Bank Even If You ARE Local

We have used Trustco for CDs for a long time.  A bit of a pain to work with, but I only saw them once very 2-3 years.

We opened checking/money market accounts a week before Christmas at their Stuyvesant Plaza office.  The assistant manager forgot to order our ATM cards, and ordered our checks with one of our names spelled incorrectly, as well as our town spelled incorrectly.  The re-ordered checks arrived a few days ago, but when I checked our account, I find that Trustco had charged us to rush order the new checks.

I assume that charge will be withdrawn (if not I will edit this comment), but so far our experience has been a tragedy of errors at every step.

The interest rate/required balance combination between the two accounts is good enough to keep us banking there temporarily to see if this nonsense continues, but we are actively shopping for a new local bank to house our checking and cash accounts.

Trustco- Seek A Credit Union

I would rate 4-5 stars- ok bank; policies on check holds and fees are clear, even if you don't like theat they hold checks for 24 hours, checks are always free, and the ONLY fee on your accounts are if YOU overdraw it. What? do you really think the bank will give you an interest free loan?! ... you get the disclosure when you open your account people. Try other banks with maintenance fees, transactions limits, and charges for such things as on-line banking or Bill-Pay... The service is always friendly and helpful... I don't like the way they treat the employees. Tey treat them like pawns on the chess-board, and there is ALWAYS a different person sitting at the desk, having to eplain my situation to everyone not only gets old, waste time, but makes me feel very insecure... Just WHO am I giving my information to? everytime they look up my acct. they want my SS#. all these floaters, I can't tell who is still with the bank, and who is taking my information for later... and talking to these 'floating' managers, they don't seem to like it either- they have to pay for their own travel with only minimal reibursement  from the bank in their own vehical-far less then the $0.55/mile alotted on your taxes (at $4/gallon) - I feel bad for these kids- and I mean kids! they have the most inexperienced unprofessional 22 year olds sitting at a desk, who have to call other branches for simple answers... waste of my time.  They are ok for simple checking and savings accounts; try the credit uions for loans... Rumor has it they are downsizing- getting rid of employees (1-3 tellers) left and right... there goes the customer service aspect I liked.

Issues With This Bank

So here's my story and based on the other posts I have seen, I should have investigated further before banking here. I opened my account one month ago just because it was convenient to my house. Wrong move....

So I went in there and opened an account and made 2 deposits. One into the checking and one into the savings. No big deal so far. We received my checks a little while later and noticed that it had the wrong account number on it. We went back there to tell them the error and they told us "sorry, we can reissue you another set but will have to charge you". I need to go complain about that one. Then I got my monthly account statement and noticed that it was missing a deposit. I called about it (luckily I have saved my deposit receipt) and they said they would look into it and call me back. I waited 2 weeks and called again. I am still waiting for a call back. As soon as I get this money resolved, I plan to close this account and go somewhere else. It's just too many issues on the get go for me to trust them to handle any amount of money.

Trustco Bank Is Horrible.

Trustco Bank is horrible. Customer service people will get rude with you and hang up on you. They will also refuse to provide you with their last names because they do not wish to get in trouble. They do not move quickly to resolve your issues and will allow people to rip you off.