Dedicated to Deposits: Deals, Data, and Discussion
Featured Savings Rates
Featured Accounts

Feds Docking Social Security For Unpaid College Loans

Friday, August 10, 2012 - 8:24 AM
It's no secret that falling behind on student loan payments can squash a borrower's hopes of building savings, buying a home or even finding work. Now, thousands of retirees are learning that defaulting on student-debt can threaten something that used to be untouchable: their Social Security benefits

Read more
pearlbrownpearlbrown1,473 posts since
Nov 2, 2010
Rep Points: 6,402
1. Friday, August 10, 2012 - 1:20 PM
This is a sore point with me since I hear too many people making a joke out of getting those loans and getting "more" when they don't even pay off the loans they have!  I also don't see how they are going to be able to dock them from their social security when the news is out that there probably won't be any for them by the time they reach that age! Our entire government and how it handles these programs is one big joke!
paoli2paoli21,401 posts since
Aug 10, 2011
Rep Points: 6,135
2. Monday, August 13, 2012 - 3:36 PM
My heart is not breaking over this one.  A loan is not a gift, if people aren't smart enough to know that then college isn't going to help them a bit and if you sign up to pay your kids or grandkids loans....... what in the world did you think your signature was needed for.  I hear my college-aged relatives talking about how their student loans should be forgiven because them having a higher education is doing us all a big favor.  Amazing. 
WonderingWomanWonderingWoman4 posts since
Mar 10, 2011
Rep Points: 18