Dedicated to Deposits: Deals, Data, and Discussion
Featured Savings Rates
Featured Accounts

Wealthy Advised To Sell For Gains Before Unfriendly 2013

Saturday, October 20, 2012 - 4:59 PM
Sell.

That’s the message from some financial advisers, who are telling wealthy clients that the remainder of 2012 amounts to a last-chance sale on federal tax rates. Taxes are set to rise in January in the U.S., pushing the top rate on dividends to 43.4 percent from 15 percent and the top rate on capital gains to 23.8 percent from 15 percent.

Wealthy Advised to Sell for Gains Before Unfriendly 2013 - Bloomberg
ShorebreakShorebreak2,686 posts since
Apr 6, 2010
Rep Points: 14,567
1. Saturday, October 20, 2012 - 6:48 PM
Shorebreak:  What are you a psychic now?  What's going to happen next year depends upon who ends up winning the great US Presidency crown.  Unless I misunderstood the linked article (which of course I just might have) it states (I think) that we shouldn't basically panic but wait to see what happens after the election.  They put it in different words of course but that is what I got out of it.  However, it does make one wonder if the higher rates played a factor in certain billionaires dumping a chunk of their stocks recently.  Well at least this is one thing I won't have to worry about since the entire universe knows I am mainly in CDs.  Somebody has to buy them! :)
paoli2paoli21,401 posts since
Aug 10, 2011
Rep Points: 6,135